Wednesday, January 9, 2008
is it bedtime yet??
Allie thank goodness fell asleep right away and slept until 2:15 pm when I had to wake her to go pick up Asher. I let Ash play at the playground at school for about 30 minutes, then we headed to Kroger for groceries. With both kids. Without John. Groan. Asher asked if he could have a milkshake before we went, I said yes thinking that would help keep him occupied while I shopped. Drove through Sonic, got a vanilla shake, and then off to Kroger.
We weren't in Kroger 10 minutes when my dream of an easy shopping trip disintegrated. The shake fell, and the bottom busted out, spilling the vanilla goodness all over the floor. You should have seen Asher's face. He immediately started bawling. Then he tried to blame Allie! He had held it up to her (she was sitting in the cart) and was teasing her with it - something he has been doing lately which is NOT nice and boy doesn't karma have a way of proving that?? - and she swiped at it, knocking it out of his hand.
He said, can we go get another one? And I said, No, not today. To which he bawled even louder. I said, Let's go find a worker to tell them we spilled so someone can come clean it up. We found a lady just down the aisle and when she turned toward us she saw Asher and said, What's wrong honey? And out came the story in garbled, heaving, pitiful words. She said, Would a cookie and a balloon make it better? It was like a switch turned in Asher! He wiped his face, said YES! and off they went to get balloons and a cookie (with Christmas trees on it - how old was that?!) The lady was so sweet and Asher thanked her several times, and I told her how she really helped. Don't you love nice people??
We headed through Kroger getting the things on our list plus many things not, with the balloons (had to get TWO, one for Allie and one for him) keeping him and Allie entertained. By the dairy aisle, however, I had about had enough of balloons hitting me in the face, Allie was fussing and trying to climb out, and Asher started in with the "are we done yet???" spiel. Then two people cut in front of me at the deli counter, and I held my tongue with the first but when the second did, I spoke up, a little snotty which I regret - and they both apologized profusely, which was why I regretted being so snotty. We checked out - why are there only two clerks and 7 people in line?? and get all the way to the car when I realize we had forgotten a major staple in our house, which we were completely out of - mozzarella! We unloaded the groceries and turned around and went right back in. Allie couldn't believe it. She had had ENOUGH! We grab the cheese and can't resist getting a few other things - why is that?! and did the self check to get the heck outta there.
John was home when we got home. He is on call today and so far hasn't had to go back. He is still pretty tired but he does get to stay home tomorrow as there are only two OR rooms running. Woohoo! Now if we can just get through tonight without him getting called in.
Kids are in bed, kitchen is cleaned, John is watching the news, and I am all done!