Sunday, April 27, 2008

and continue...

As I sit down to type this, it's Sunday morning, 8:45 am, and John is still snoozing. He is still missing sleep from Thur night when he was on call. The organ recovery lasted about 3 hours. They ended up not taking everything as there was some concern of Hep B. But it was a very stressful case for John as the patient was loaded with every drug possible at the highest dose possible and still his pressure was dropping and that endangered the recovery. Once that case was over, he had to do an epidural and then manage it, basically he got two hours of sleep from 4a-6a. So! He is still catching up. Asher woke up around 7:20 am which is actually early for him on non-school days. Usually Allie beats him up, but she was still snoozing amazingly until I sat down to start blogging. Now I hear her on the monitor talking. Not sure what we will do today. There is a chance of rain, which we need. But it is scattered and yesterday that meant about 32 sprinkles and that was it! Yesterday afternoon we all went to Lowe's to look at their veggie plants and their deep freezers. We still have to replace this freezer. I wasn't impressed with their selection although they are having a 10% off Energy Star appliances through today. I think we are going to go back to Sear's as much as I hate to do it and get our exact freezer again. It is a really nice freezer, and John feels pretty confident that a power surge is what messed it up (along with our washer) back in January, that it was a freak thing and not a flaw in that particular model. We will be plugging it into a protected outlet thingie though this time around! We got some more tomato plants and some bell pepper plants at Lowe's and at Wal-Mart yesterday. Also some herbs, such as basil, rosemary, and mint to go along with my lavender. Some will be planted for the scent near our back deck, others will go in a pot to use for cooking purposes. Our air/heat pump is out AGAIN. Kelly (our repairman) came out early yesterday and said he thought it was an easy fix. He left and got the right size part and came right back, and that didn't fix it, which means while one thing was out, something else burned up, imagine that. So now we need a new motor for that brand-new fan he just installed a couple weeks ago! We haven't even gotten the bill for the last repair! This is so frustrating. The part won't be in until next week, and meanwhile we have no a/c or heat. Thankfully it is supposed to be cooler (the day it went out it was over 80 degrees and sunny) with highs only in the upper 50s to low 70s the entire week, but it is supposed to be in the upper 30s some nights. Eek! Good thing we have space heaters. OK, will finish this post in a little bit - got to go get Allie... Now it is Monday morning, 9:15 am. Didn't get a chance to finish this yesterday! We ended up going outside around 10:30 am yesterday after a big breakfast and planting. John and Asher were outside literally from 10:30 am until 3:30 pm straight. And Asher wasn't ready to come in even then! Allie and I were out until around noon, helping plant the lower garden - then I got her lunch and down for her nap, she slept until about 3 pm. We planted Asher's pumpkin seedling that he started at preschool, as well as his "veggie-tale" sunflower seedlings, the 3 that made it. In the lower garden we also planted 35 bell pepper plants, red/yellow/green, as well as I think 18 tomato plants? I am not sure the total amount of tomato plants we have between the upper and lower gardens. I know we have Roma, as well as a German Heirloom and then a few other varieties. The upper garden is now full, with 3 rows of corn, 2 rows of lettuce, 1 row of potatoes, 1 row of yellow squash/zucchini and 1 row of tomatoes. The lower garden is about half full with what I mentioned above. We will still plant more corn, we like to stagger it, as well as cucumbers and then later in the summer we will do a plot of pumpkins for our pumpkin patch. Can't think of anything else at the moment. I got a little bit more of my monkey grass planted around the pool. I am now over halfway around the pool and will still go the rest of the way and also line the patio. We decided to plant my herbs in long planters instead of in the ground. It took two planters, 3 herbs in each. We put in Basil, Oregano, Mint, Spearmint, Dill, and Rosemary. I am very excited about my little herb garden! Here are some pics of the baby turkeys. Can you believe we haven't lost a one? They are pretty low key. Seem very different than the chicks who could be quite spastic. Here's some pics of the garden plots - the one by the barn is the "lower" garden and the one by the playset is the "upper". Today is a little rainy and much cooler, and I plan to work inside while Allie takes her nap. I hope to get either more sewing or some scrapbooking done today. I have three days to meet my April goals for my projects, and I would love to be able to cross them all off!!