Wednesday, October 1, 2008
October = LAUGH
I needed a sense of humor this morning, so welcome October and my word of the month, LAUGH!!!
First thing, I wake up Asher at 6:40 to get ready for school. He said he was "hot" and didn't even eat breakfast - totally unlike him. And then he said his throat hurt. Greeeat. Today was my talk at the kindergarten about raising chickens. My original plan was to go ahead and send him on the bus at 7:15 and then get ready and Allie up and everything loaded up and leave at 8:15 to get to school at 8:30. I gave him some Tylenol after taking his ear temp and it was 3 different temps within 30 seconds, around 100 - you know with those ear thermometers they are so inaccurate!!! Anyway, we went ahead and brushed teeth and he started crying, I asked him if he wanted to rest a bit and then ride in to school with me, and if he wasn't feeling better then I would leave him and Allie in the car with Cathy watching them (Cathy was meeting me at the school to help with Allie) while I went in. He said OK, and went to lay down while I got my shower. I could tell that he wasn't faking and that he didn't want to miss school, on today of all days with the presentation!!
By the time I got out of the shower, he had gotten dressed and wasn't flushed. He actually wanted to eat, so I got him some dry cereal and half a banana to eat in the car on the way to school. This changed my entire morning routine as we needed to leave the house at 7:50 instead of 8:15. I didn't get to drink all of my coffee, everything was so rushed, I barely got Allie changed and in the car and everything loaded and it was already 8!!!
I did get Asher to school before the tardy bell barely - I really should be an Indy driver - I thought it was 8:15 for the tardy bell and come to find out it was 8:20 thank goodness as it was 8:18 when he got there. Plus since I don't know the whole drill of drop-off and got there "late" I had to park and get Allie out and haul them in! All because I read in Asher's agenda book (trying to brush up on the policies and procedures, lol) that cars are not allowed in the front area in the morning drop off time, only on the side, which is why I parked and went in, and low and behold there are at least 20 people driving right up to the front of the school to drop their kids off. Grrrr.
So! Back in the car I went with Allie and we ran to drop off our recyclables and then get back to park and meet Cathy and get on inside to start the presentation. Which went wonderfully! I appreciated Cathy's help with Allie for sure, and Asher was my helper and the kids (3 classes, 50+ kids!!) just LOVED the colored eggs and the posterboard. It was fun! I also took Mrs Hughes (his teacher) one of the flower pots/pens I had made. That was something I had wanted to give her at the start of the school year but didn't have it ready in time, obviously.
We were at the school about an hour, and were asked to stay for the pancakes they were making, but I had a few other errands to run, one of which was the post office to ship 2 boxes. We were expecting to receive our baby quail chicks either today or tomorrow, but when I didn't get a phone call by 7 am I assumed they would come tomorrow. Well there I am shipping my boxes, and I tell the clerk that we are expecting some chicks and all of a sudden I realized I was hearing "peep peep peep!" and I was like, are those our chicks?? And sure enough, they were ours! They had arrived late and the post office had been calling and leaving messages on our machine since 10 am. I was so glad I went to that post office to ship the boxes or I would have gotten all the way home and then had to turn around and go back to get them!!!
We had one more stop at the Library to drop off books and deliver eggs, then we drove thru McD's for lunch (it was about 11 am) and headed home. I got Allie down for her nap and then set about getting the chicks settled. Thankfully John had the brooder all set up and ready to go, I just had to add the food dishes and waterer. Here is a pic of that:
Then it was time to add the baby chicks. Here is the box they came shipped in.
I counted as I added each chick, and then wrote on the box section (4 sections) how many live chicks I had added to the brooder. Here are the birds peeking out, ready for their new home!
They are so tiny!!! Here is one in the palm of my hand. They are at least half the size of the baby chickens.
250 live birds. 3 dead. Which is ironic that we ordered 250 and they usually put in a few extra and the 3 extra they put in didn't make it. Strange!
I have been back out to the shop to check temperature and so forth. John called and I told him they were too small to really reach the waterer, that a few had actually jumped in but not many were drinking. Which was a big concern. He had the idea to take a child plate with a rim (we have had since Ash was a baby and use them now for thawing the frozen fish food each night) and put a little sugar and water in it so it was more accessible. So I took out 2 plates and wow they knew right what to do, and before I knew it the chicks had livened up considerably and were drinking and chirping more and looked tremendously better. I also notched up the heating element a tiny bit again, we have a therm out there to help monitor. I don't want to lose any due to being too cold!
I started this post about 2 hours ago, and am just now finishing it up, have had to come back and forth to it, lol. Ash is now home, Wednesdays are the early dismissal days, and since he stayed on green he is upstairs playing the Wii - after checking out the new chicks of course!
John is on call today and said it looks to be a long, long day. Which I hate for him as he is now sick. Allie has had the runny nose/congestion since Sun, John started in Monday night with the sore throat and by yesterday afternoon felt pretty crummy with a sore throat, and by nighttime couldn't hardly breathe. Then Ash woke up this morning feeling like he did. I had a touch of a sore throat end of last week but it didn't last long so not sure what is going around here.
Tomorrow and Friday Asher has no school, so tomorrow we are driving down to Winchester for the kids to get their teeth cleaned. I am taking one of the flower pot/pens for the dentist office staff - they are always so good to us and I usually bring them something special.
Last night was flag football, and since John and Allie were feeling crummy and John wasn't on call, they stayed home and I took Ash. It was pretty mundane, same as last week - the kids just aren't focusing and are more interested in goofing around and doing their own thing instead of playing the game. Just one more week... I had thought to sign him up for Basketball at the Boys Club but seriously doubt we will. On one hand it is good exercise, on the other hand it is one night a week practice and games every Saturday. And with Ash still being so young for organized sports I am just not feeling it. I do hope to put him in Baseball in the Spring.
OK, gonna go play a little Wii with my boy before Allie gets up!