Thursday, December 4, 2008
as the week goes by
The time always goes by fast when John is on vacation! He has been able to get a ton of things done around here. He put up outdoor Christmas lights as a surprise for Asher on Tuesday. We didn't do it last year, no one can see our house we are so secluded, but Ash asked anyway because kids don't think like that, but John never did it. This year he asked again, and we said the standard parent answer of "we'll see" and then something hit John on Tuesday morning and when I got home from a birthday party with Allie, he was almost finished putting them up. He said to me, "I thought to myself, there's no reason to not do this. These kids are only going to be little a short amount of time, so I told myself to get out here and put these up for him!" It made me smile. He is such a good daddy in so many ways!
He also had installed the garage shelving while I was out that morning. It is AWESOME!!! He staggered the wire shelving so that we have hanging space on both sides, the left side closest to the door we are hanging our winter coats, and farther down we can hang all of our farm outer clothing which is SO WONDERFUL especially since he and I have the Carharrt bib overalls and then I have snow overalls that are so long and cumbersome in the house. It is so so so nice and I am so glad he installed all of that!
Let's see, yesterday afternoon he took the pups to a hunting preserve over in Indiana, about an hour and 40 minutes away. He had a wonderful time with them, a trainer went out with them in the fields and they planted 5 quail for each pup. Jill did beautifully, pointed on scent every time, but she is broke to wing I think it is called where when he shoots, she takes off to retrieve. A more stylish and disciplined approach is to hold point until he releases her verbally to go retrieve. But she is still young and he was very impressed with her style! Penny also pointed, but she is definitely the lazy dog out of the two and who knows, she might make into a good bird dog but she is nowhere near Jill's caliber.
John also took the pups to the vet yesterday for their annual vaccinations and checkups. The vet remembered them from last year and was again very complimentary of their beauty and overall health and stature. He asked if we had found a "boyfriend" for Jill yet (she is in heat right now) and John said no, not yet. We will breed her at some point, but she still seems so young to me to be a mommy! And as exciting as puppies would be, didn't we just get out of that phase?! LOL. We will do a lot of research to find the right stud for her, that's for sure. Their pedigree is so incredible.
On Tuesday, after I had gotten home from the party and got Allie down for her nap, I headed back into town by myself (GASP) and went to the chiropractor (much overdue) and then did a little Christmas shopping at our little Hallmark store and then on to my haircut. I desperately needed a trim! My stylist layered it up a lot and made it so much lighter on my head, but it is still long. While I was there, and we were talking about the farm and fruits/trees and such, we got on the subject of the hens and she was ecstatic to find out we had eggs available. Her daughter also wanted eggs every week so I now have more consistency with selling the eggs.
Alright, gotta get out of here. John is ready to do some testing with the breakers for the generator deal.