Monday, February 2, 2009

February = EMBRACE

Welcome February! It started yesterday with a sunny, mild day - a hint of Spring a touch too early, a nice reprieve from the below freezing cold and icy days of January. The much anticipated Super Bowl - with one of my favorite teams, the Arizona Cardinals - ended in disappointment but I am still proud of them, and I also begrudgingly admit that the Steelers earned it. John's 38th birthday is tomorrow, the 3rd. Three of my nieces will celebrate birthdays this month, as well as two friends and one of Allie's little friends. February also marks the anniversary of John's maternal grandfather's passing, almost 9 years ago. This month we have two playgroups planned as well as an outing to the Museum. I also hope we are able to make Library Storytime at least twice! Here is a pic of Allie and Cathy Friday night, the Maves had brought her a present (and a cake since we didn't run our big oven on the generator!) Allie was so cute, she was running around saying, "Present! Open present!" Allie getting ready for her cake! Here is a cool pic John got of the sunset that same evening - this is the view from the front of the house. A snowy pic of the beehives. Allie and John reading - one of her top fave activities! And finally, one of Asher outside in the field near the beehives. Yesterday was a nice, sunny, mild day that helped with the melting tremendously, but there is still layer upon layer of snow and ice! It's really amazing. Saturday afternoon, the propane truck had just come and refilled the tank, we were at a little below 30%, so we were breathing easier about that and then the power came back on within 30 minutes of him leaving. We were on generator for almost 4 days. School was delayed 2 hours today, not sure what the reason but probably had something to do with side roads still questionable and wanting it to be light outside. It's 33 outside right now, and supposed to warm up to a whopping 36, but at least that's above freezing! Hoping for some more melting! Asher was NOT pleased about having to go back to school. He got some two new toys, one is Lego, with his Target gift card that he got for Christmas (thanks again Aunt Shannon) and all he wanted to do was play. Tomorrow Allie is supposed to have her 2 year checkup at the pediatrician, but she has been fighting a cough/cold since last Wednesday and it got worse yesterday and still pretty bad today. I am getting ready to call and see what they want me to do. I am pretty sure they won't do her vaccinations with her being sick, although she hasn't run a fever. I have updated the sidebar for February! February's "one little word" is EMBRACE, and the definition of that is: to hug, to enfold, to include. The Scripture this week comes from John 15:17, "This is my command: Love each other." And the weekly quote is: The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. The must be felt. ~Author Unknown. January went by in a blur, as time seems to do with us! I do feel like I honored my word, "be", and am excited to move into February and all it has to hold! I also feel like I am making strides with my overall word for 2009, "still", and can honestly say I think of it daily and ways to slow down and enjoy the moment. As far as my goals, in January I completed 5 scrapbook layouts and made 3 cards. I also painted the office and got the kids playroom set up in the big area of the downstairs. I memorized each weekly Scripture and have been reading the Bible several times a week. I have not done as well with my Wii Fit. I hope to get back into routine with that this week. We did not make it to church in January, but I am hopeful for February! I have also printed out the blog posts to mail to our dear friends the Hooks who don't have internet access (gasp!) and it's important to me to keep them updated with our life. I am also going to be placing my photo order this week for the month of January to stay up to date. Also for February, I am hoping John is able to get the drywall done in the old playroom area, and when it is done I will paint that area and then I am mulling over moving my craft area to that room, and leave the kids' play stuff in the big area, and make the old craft room a true guest room. I also have a ton of stuff to donate to Goodwill, but of course I didn't sort and write down each thing (for taxes) I just threw it all in bags. So that will be a project I may or may not tackle this (short) month. OK, gotta go change a diaper!