Friday, May 29, 2009

"Miss Bindergarten Gets Ready...

...for the Last Day of Kindergarten! It's the last day of Kindergarten, and oh, oh, oh..." This is the title and part of the first line of a great book we have read nearly every night for the last 9 days! They had one titled the same except it was Gets Ready for the First Day of Kindergarten that we read back in August before K started. I thought it only fitting to check this one out from the Library last week to help Asher (ahem, OK maybe more so for Mom) get ready for the end of Kindergarten. I sniffle just reading the title! I am more sentimental about him finishing K than I am with him turning 6! Is that weird?? The first night I read it to Asher, I was all tearing up and choking out the words, and was hugging Ash so tight. He asked me, "Why are you so sad about me not being in Kindergarten anymore?" And I answered, "Well for lots of reasons. But mostly because you finishing Kindergarten is a big deal to me; it means you are growing bigger and I kind of want you to stay little for awhile longer! And I love Mrs Hughes and will miss her so much!!" And he kind of patted my arm and said, "Don't be sad Mommy. I can still visit Mrs Hughes whenever I want. I'll know right where she is!" Awwww! How precious is that. I have tears in my eyes just typing this! Sheesh! What a roller coaster of a week! I just can't believe how fast the year went by. We are more than ready for Summer Break, but wow! Really? I have a 1st Grader now?! I am so proud of the year Asher has had. He has grown so much. It's really amazing! Friday morning Allie and I took Asher to school for the last time as a Kindergartner, and we parked and went in so we could give her and Ms Brenda (her aide) and his Speech teacher their end of year gifts. I filled jars with different kinds of Hershey kisses - we got that idea from something similar out of the book - and tied them up with pretty ribbons. We also did thank you cards with different gift cards in each one. We made the same gift for his bus driver, Ms Suzy, who I am so thankful for - she ALWAYS greets Asher with a smile and is a great start to his day, not to mention getting him to and from school safely! Allie and I then went on to the Y so I could do Yoga and an aerobics class. The indoor pool at the Y has been shut down for 2 weeks now. The pump broke, plus they were scheduling annual maintenance anyway. I miss the water although I have enjoyed the aerobics classes - what a great workout! I am having to pay attention to not hurt my back though! It's a fine line between strengthening my "core" to help support my back while not hurting my back in the process. Back up to Thursday, Asher's b'day - John was on call but got to come home around 5ish. He brought an armload of the good Mylar balloons for Asher - the tradition! :) Ash opened his presents while I finished up the frosting. I made a dark chocolate butter frosting for the funfetti cupcakes Allie and I had made before lunch. YUM. Ash wanted smiley faces on them! So I did that for the picture, but that wasn't near enough frosting-to-cupcake ratio so I piled it on afterward! LOL. Allie loves anything sweet, and kept saying, "Yummy chocolate!" Ash had fun opening his family presents: new swim trunks, snorkel/goggle set, toypedos for the pool, a Lego Racer, and two Star Wars Battle Packs. He has been wanting more Clone Troopers for his AT-TE Walker, so when I saw this Battle Pack at WM I knew he had to have it! LOL I love this expression! Cupcakes in the shape of an "A". There were about double this amount, I just couldn't fit them all on there! We just did one candle! Notice the blue flame! Cool. We just ate cereal for dinner - that's what the birthday boy wanted, and really all anyone wanted were cupcakes so to get anything else down was a bonus! :) Oh, Allie and I had some wildlife spotting on Thursday morning. We saw a mama fox and 2 baby foxes playing - well the babies were playing, not the mama though, lol, she just looked annoyed as they harassed her - in our front pasture to the right, past the pond. Way cool! At first I thought it was Cooper, our outside orange cat, playing, but I was like hey there are 3 of them. I don't wear my glasses in the house unless I am watching TV/playing the Wii, so I had to squint to see. Once I realized what it really was, I ran to get the binoculars and Allie and I took turns watching them through the binoculars for about several minutes. She would look, then turn to me and say, "Mama fox! Baby fox!" John is on call today (Saturday), from the trade that he did with his buddy. He didn't have to go in at all on Friday, which was a bonus, and got some outside work done while I was at the Y and then WalMart. Ash was early dismissal for the last day of school, and was home at 2. Allie took a great nap, so he and I played the Wii (Mario Party 8 is the current fave) for awhile. He hasn't gotten to play but a couple of times in the last month, since Wednesdays haven't been early dismissal the last 3 weeks of school, and we have been busy on Saturdays (the other usual Wii day). These are from Kindergarten Graduation, Wednesday the 27th. It was at 1p and I had to take Allie with me as John was working. She did great, especially considering how cooped up and hot we were in the school gym! LOL. It lasted about 45 minutes, and then we went to Asher's classroom and got a couple more pictures before heading home. The first picture is Asher's class singing their song. There were 5 K classes in this graduation session - the school split them up thank goodness - they had a morning session for the other K classes. Each class sang a song, then the emcee announced each child's name, they walked over to the teacher sitting in the rocking chair, and had professional pictures taken, then they sat back down with the other classes. Back in the classroom! Here's a pic of our 7 cows - I took this last Friday on the way to the K Cookout but keep forgetting to post it! They are doing fine, just munching away on the pasture! John has been working with them to come when he calls and gives them their sweet feed, and they started coming to him earlier this week. They won't come to my voice though! I told John maybe we should train to a cow bell, lol.