Friday, June 12, 2009
Yum!
My stomach is growling as I have spent the last half hour reading this incredibly funny, yummy, informative, do-able blog: The Pioneer Woman. http://thepioneerwoman.com/
Under the "cooking" tab be prepared to find an amazing array of recipes complete with step-by-step instructions complete with pictures. All recipes have a "printable" link to click - and all I can say is WOW! I can't wait to make some of these goodies this weekend! Thanks to my friend Melanie for telling me (months ago) about The Pioneer Woman - I can't believe it took me this long to get my hiney over to it!
We have been go-go-go this week. I last posted on Monday and what a busy morning that was. Well, I must have wrenched my back at the Wal-Mart hauling around those carts as I was in misery that evening. Tuesday morning arrived, and I was so close to not going to the pool with the kids as every step was painful. It was a gorgeous day though, and I missed my friends, so I sucked it up and the kids and I headed that way. I'm glad they got some outside time in as it has rained ever since.
At 5:30p that evening I took Asher to the allergist (ENT) doctor for a blood draw for allergy testing. Oh. My. That was a horrible time of it. Asher is sensitive to begin with and has no tolerance for pain. Hmm...wonder where he gets those traits from?? lol. The office gals and the ENT were wonderful with him even though he went into COMPLETE HYSTERICS as soon as he found out what was going to be done to him. A tiny needle inserted into the HUGE vein in the crook of his elbow. The nurse kept trying to reason with him but every time she would go to put the needle in he would jerk away or bend his arm, I finally was like, look I can't hold him still enough - he is strong - we need someone else to help! So it took 2 of us to hold himso she could insert the needle safely and draw 2 vials of blood - one will be tested for environmental and the other for food allergies. When it was over his tears immediately dried up and he admitted that the worst part was "the crying" and not the actual needle. He had himself so worked up he was almost hyperventilating and the nurse was afraid he might throw up everywhere! Yikes! And I know where this is going......he will come back positive I'm sure and then we will have to decide on treatment --- allergy shots possibly! Currently he is on Nasonex (nose spray) for the nasal congestion as well as Singulair and Allegra. The cough had gotten about 50% better with the Singulair alone, but since we started the other 2 meds on Tuesday evening, and today is Friday, his cough is completely gone and so is his nasal stuffiness. The allergy count has been lower this week though so that has something to do with it too. We should get results back next week sometime.
Wednesday I met my friend Anita at the Y pool to do some swim exercises on our own. We both hemmed and hawed around about it and then said yes we will go - well I get there at 9:45a and put the kids in the childcare, lower myself into the pool and don't even get all the way in when the lifeguard is like, Everybody out! There's lightning! There had been some storms moving through but I thought they would pass. I was irritated as my back could have used some pool therapy. But what do you do. Well what we did was take the kiddos to McD's Playland. She has 2 girls, 5 and 3, and of course I had Ash and Allie. We stayed at McD's clear until 2p! Allie is so big now, she will climb all the way to the top of the huge play area and doesn't get scared at all. We hadn't been in ages, especially Asher, so needless to say they had a blast. There was one kid that kept following Asher around and was rough, kept grabbing his arms and I had to intervene, and then later punched Ash in the back 2x before I could get to him. I was so mad! No one stepped up to claim him but I think it was a grandma immersed in her newspaper. Ugh.
That evening, John was on call but we made the drive out to Fleming County to his co-worker's farm to pick up 2 new additions to our family. 8 week old kittens. They are stinkin' adorable!!!!! They were outside cats there but have done wonderfully inside, as they will be inside-only kitties here. We put them in one of the dog crates with a small litter box and food/h2o and a towel and that's where they stay at night and when we're not home. They have already trained themselves to the litter box, smart kitties. Yesterday Asher and I took them to the vet for their first checkup and he said they look great. They got their first round of shots and de-wormed. Even though we gave them a flea bath at home, we went ahead and did Revolution on both of them for the month to kill off anything remaining. Oh, and we found out that one of them is a boy, we thought they were both girls. So the names are shifting so I will wait to announce them. :) The calico is the girl and she is definitely the more outgoing and adventurous of the two. She LOVES the pups and all she wanted was to cuddle up with them on their bed last night. The tabby is content to sit with you and be held.
John ran down to the office to get the camera when he saw how she had snuggled her way right in between the dogs!!!
Here is the little guy in the new cat bed we got. The walls are super high though so I set him down in it, it was so funny though - it was like hypnotic or something - he immediately laid his head right down and went to sleep.
He looked lonely in there though so I picked him up and cuddled him in the blanket on my lap:
Jill got to snuggle with John on a recliner, but Penny is the wanderer who won't hold still, so he sent her back to her bed. Well the calico wanted so badly to curl up to Penny but Penny wasn't so sure. This expression cracks me up. We kept telling Penny to lay down.
She finally did, but look how tight she is curled up! Don't touch me!!! LOL!!!!!!!
They are so cute and fun to have around. We have never had a little kitten before. We have always adopted adult cats, so this is a new experience for us and we are all enjoying it! Well the humans are anyway. Our older cat, Anna, is none-too-happy about these little ones. I am surprised actually as she is so gentle with the children and easy going with the puppies. She has let the kitties get a little closer to her over the last couple of days, so hopefully she'll come around soon.
John just called saying there are 2 c/sections in the wings so he won't be home for at least 4 hours. He is on call today, Sat and Sun. I hope things quiet down for him! He has been working so hard on the farm and at work this week, he is really wiped out. The cattle are doing well - John's training them to the sweet feed has worked beautifully and he was able to move them easily to the far pasture a few days ago, and then yesterday he got them to come down farther to the corral area. We won't need to work them for months yet, but it is a good feeling to know they are getting desensitized to the corral. I think all cattle instinctively know that is not a happy place for them!
This morning I took the kids to the Y so I could do Yoga and the water class, but my back is still acting up and I couldn't do most of the impact even in the water. I called the chiropractor as soon as we left the Y and they said she could get me in at 11:30. So I took the kids to the Library to get new books and DVDs before heading to the chiro. 2 hours there with both kids - ugh - they did pretty good considering. I am still sore though better and plan to rest my back up more this weekend. Hard to do for me!
Alright, Allie-B is up from her nap and I need to get dinner going!