Thursday, July 30, 2009

The Missing Teddy Bear Story

A critical story to our vacation that I forgot to include! First, some background. Asher gave Allie a teddy bear when she was born. He brought it to her at the hospital the first time he met her. Here is a picture: The ribbon has long been gone, and the nose is starting to unravel, but it is still sentimental. She isn't "attached" to it like Ash is to his bear, for her it is a blankie, but she knows it's hers and does love on it. Well for some reason it got put in the car the day we left for vacation - probably because Ash was carrying his so she had to have hers? Anyway, late that night at 10p we are unloading to the hotel and it apparently got brought in to the room - I vaguely remember this as I was toast. She must have thrown it on the floor - because really, all she needs to sleep is her beloved blankie that I need to get a picture of her with - and in the midst of leaving the next morning it got left behind. Fast forward to the Friday we are leaving. I had thought of the bear throughout the week, as it wasn't in our beach hotel room. I figured it had gotten left in the car, shoved under a seat or buried in their toy basket. So Friday morning, we are loading up the car at 7:20a and I search for it, and don't find it. On our way out of town, I tell John I can't find it, is it possible it got left at the Holiday Inn where we stopped? Did he remember bringing it in? I kind of did, and since it never was in the Embassy, that would make sense. He of course couldn't remember (he would tell you he can't remember what he ate for dinner last night!) and I had a feeling that's what happened, and was sad for my own sentimental reasons more than anything. I thought about calling them, but thought, it's been a week! Even if that is what happened, what are the chances it's still there? We almost took an alternate route home, but we didn't make the turn when we should have to do that route (wayyyy different) and by the time I realized it, there was no turning back. So we were headed home the same way we arrived, which obviously put us right at that Holiday Inn. We caught the red light, and John said, Hey there's our Holiday Inn, would you like me to stop? And I said, Really? As I figured he thought this was all silly. So I said, Yes, if you don't mind, and he is like, Well, we are right here, why not? So we pull in, and I run in and tell the desk clerk the story. She asks, What did it look like? I explain and she leaves and returns in just a couple of minutes with a plastic bag tied up, and she starts to tear the bag open while saying, Is this it? AND IT WAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't believe it. I teared up a little, and said how happy I was that they had kept it (protected no less) for a week and that it meant alot to me sentimentally. I skipped back to the family waiting in the car, with it held up and Allie's face lit up and she said, BEAR!!!!!! And hugged and hugged it. Now can you believe the sequence of events?? I told John, just think if we had gone the other route. I don't know if I would have called or not, or been able to identify over the phone, if they would have mailed, etc, etc so I am really glad it all worked out the way it did. Bear is safely back at home WHERE HE WILL STAY. Yay! Oh, one other thing I want to get down before she moves on to something else and I forget - I don't feel like I have been doing as good of a job lately of documenting cute things the children do - Allie has been on this kick of saying ".......for a minute!" at the end of the sentence. For example, "Can I sit here for a minute?" "Can I see that toy for a minute?" "I want that for a minute!" And she runs the words "for a minute" all together. So stinkin' cute! John has been saying how he feels like she has really grown up in a lot of ways over the last month. She cuddles more, likes to tickle and wrestle, is saying complex sentences (that are harder to understand, I guess because they are longer and also more difficult words?). Her hair is getting thicker, longer and curlier. Her eyes are turning a darker shade of blue. My friend Anita took this photo of her today and I was amazed when I saw it! Look at that hair! It was really humid and rainy today so I guess that explains all the body in it. She got my hair for sure! She has learned songs from toys and TV shows, and will sing along (a beat or so behind) to them. She will get a book from the bookshelf and sit and look at it, "reading" outloud to herself either the words she has memorized from us reading, or just narrating to herself what is going on in the pictures. She loves Clifford The Big Red Dog still but also likes Max and Ruby and Super Why now too. She can count to 10 and say her ABC's and has learned several colors and shapes. She LOVES playing Hide and Go Seek and also building forts. We were pretty much potty trained (except for nights) until we went on vacation and she had several accidents and we went to pullups - now we are having to bite the bullet and get back on track with it. She is still in her crib, although she shared the double bed with Asher the entire time in Myrtle Beach, even sleeping in it on her own during naptime. She turned officially 2 and a half years old yesterday! My babies are growing up fast! Yesterday Asher's 1st Grade teacher, Ms Lambert, came out to the farm for her Home Visit at 5pm. She stayed about an hour, and we told her about us and also got to know more about her and what to expect in 1st Grade. We like her, she is young and seems enthusiastic with her teaching. It made Ash ready to start school he said, although tonight we were watching TV and out of the blue he says, "I think I am really going to miss Mrs Hughes you know." And I smiled and said, Yes, I know and already do. :) August 10th, a Monday, is his school's Open House where we will go to his classroom and drop off school supplies and visit a bit. Then he starts 1st Grade on that Wednesday, August 12th! Depending on how John's night of call goes tonight (he was up alllll night long on Tuesday night and slept most of the day Wednesday) tomorrow I would like to take Ash school supply shopping, just me and him, and also to a movie. And next week we are planning a day trip to Coney Island near Cincinnati, with some friends, which should be big fun! Oh, I finished the coordinating sibling dress to the one I made before we left on vacation. I was pleased with it, and together they are too cute! These dresses were made extra long by request, and fall to the girls' mid-calf. They will hopefully get lots of years of use! It is late, and I should be in bed. I have had insomnia this week, and tonight I decided to be productive since I can't sleep anyway, although they say the computer is not good before you go to bed! Also, I am experimenting with the short video clips I took with my new camera while at the beach. I tried to upload one here, but it seemed to be taking too long so I canceled it. Too tired to mess with it anymore tonight! I will buy some blank DVDs at the store and burn them to the discs. I might also upload to Snapfish, except you have to subscribe to their service for videos. Alright, I am off to try to sleep! ;)