...wasn't I supposed to be trying to NOT neglect the blog? And it's what, the 27th? Which means it has been exactly FIFTEEN days since I posted??? Not good, Stephanie! Not good at all.
I just haven't been feeling it! And it's hard to write when I'm not "in the mood". But as my English professors would say, it doesn't matter if you feel it or not, get your bootie in the chair and start WRITING! Ok, maybe they didn't say it quite like that, or maybe that is just my version of motivation, but whatever.
So, here's some pics. That always gets me geared up. Hehehe.
Here is the finished (FINALLY) Carson Ruffle Shirt. This thing took me 2 different, no wait, 3 different craft sessions to complete! Really?? I think it was like 3 hours total. I had NEVER done gathering ruffles before whatsoever, and this was lots and lots of ruffles. It was fun though, especially once I got past the I-have-no-idea-what-I'm-doing and this-is-never-going-to-turn-out-right stages. I was about to burst with excitement once I did finally finish. Which was probably 2 weeks ago today (I try to get in the craft room on Tuesdays for sure!). Then it took me another week to take photos of it. Then this morning I actually tried it on Allie, who almost had a meltdown as APPARENTLY she does NOT like ruffles of any kind. I was telling her, "Mommy made this shirt JUST FOR YOU! Look how cute it is! Look at all the adorable ruffles! THIS TOOK ME 3 HOURS TO SEW!!!!" She did leave it on for about 30 minutes which was no small feat, and then that was it. See how
happy her little face is?!?!

Oooookay, now on to cooking. Asher's Elementary School had their Fall Festival on Friday the 16th. It was sponsored by the PTO which I am a part of and was glad to be able to help. I left the kids at home with John on the Thursday and helped set up for a few hours that evening, then on the Friday once we got to the school at 5:40p John herded the children while I took off to help with games. The entire building was full of carnival type games, blow up bounce houses, a dunking booth, and more. The kids had a great time!
Wait, what does that have to do with cooking? I'm getting there!
I had signed up to help with Asher's teacher's game of Pin the Hat on the Witch. I did that for about 30 minutes and then went to take over running the Cake Walk, which had been the baby of my friend Melinda and me. Here's a pic of the cake I made and donated (see, cooking!!). I actually made 2 identical ones. The decorating was completely spur of the moment last minute, but I was pleased with how they turned out. Despite having to use Ziploc baggies to hold my frosting and the bags kept ripping at the tips and frosting was gooing out everywhere (I was out of my Wilton frosting bags).

And while we are talking cooking, John made this Hot Orange Cake Sunday night. This is a recipe he grew up on from his mom, he loves this cake and I never make it. Mainly because no one else likes it in this house. LOL. When we were first married and living closer to his parents, his mom would still make it for him when we would visit. Now John makes it usually once a year, in the Fall, when it starts to get cold. That's when he gets a hankering for it. The cake is from scratch, and I know it has orange zest in it and I think nuts? Then the icing is actually a can of frozen oj melted with powdered sugar. Ash tried it and did eat a few bites, amazingly enough. That kid is some kind of picky! Allie was already in bed by the time it was done. Even though I don't like the flavor of the cake, I thought it was so pretty, and John said it was the best tasting he had ever made! I wanted to sprinkle powdered sugar on top to decorate, but he said NO and since it was his creation I backed off. LOL

On the Saturday after the Festival, we loaded up and spent the day shopping in Lexington. Allie was absolute MISERY with her attitude. It made for a stressful day but we got through it. We had an early dinner at PF Chang's - LOVE that place!!! - and finished the evening off by stopping at our fave furniture store which is going out of business! It was their last weekend. We scooped up some good deals though! We wanted a twin bed for Allie, and we found one! It isn't set up yet as we haven't bought a mattress for it yet. But we did get a door chest (armoire) and moved the smaller one we already had into her room for her toys and clothes and put the larger one in the foyer area. We also got a china hutch, yay! Here are some pics. Decorating has just started...
Here's the china hutch! The smaller door chest was in this spot, and housed craft supplies and legos and such for kids.

Not very good lighting but you get the idea. All the plants are now indoors much to the kittens delight (grrrrr....)!

Here's the foyer area...one side of it.

We moved this sofa table (below right) from where it was (above where the door chest now is) to it's new home by the entertainment center. That area has been kind of bare, basically just the dog bed. I am still not 100% pleased with the above foyer area, but we're getting there.

Here's Allie's room. The twin bed will hopefully go right where the crib is now, just be longer and a few inches wider. I want it up against the wall though. Her room is small so we'll see how that goes...This view is from her door looking to the left.

And this is looking straight on from the door. That is the smaller door chest we have had (housing craft supplies). It now has toys and clothes in it. I am very pleased with this! This is where her changing table was, against this wall.

Looking back from the window towards the doorway and the closet.

One last pic! Today was Pajama Day at Asher's school! Isn't he cute (and sleepy??)?

It is way past lunchtime and Allie is starting to get restless! I am sure there is something I am missing that I wanted to get down here. Off the top of my head, kids have been battling colds and I think I have it now too, achiness and fever yesterday, hoping that its not a flu bug. Ash is signed up to get the H1N1 vaccine this Friday as he falls into the higher risk category with his asthma and pneumonia history. Oh yeah and our cattle are spending their last days here on the farm, next Monday they will be picked up and some will be transported to the butcher and some to the stockyards for auction. Here in a few weeks we will have our very own beef! This is why we didn't name them! ;)