Tuesday, January 8, 2008

little nervous (weather)

It is Tuesday evening and I should be in bed. However, we have severe weather moving through our area and I am a bit on edge. John is crashed - poor guy was on call yesterday and really got slammed. He had to go in about 7 pm last night for a surgery case, and it ran late so he decided to just stay at the hospital. He ended up only sleeping from 2a-4a! Ugh! He did get to come home around 10 am today though and caught a good 4 hour nap. Anyway about the weather, our NOAA weather alert system - boy is that thing handy with living out here in the country - has issued a tornado watch for our area until 4 am. The winds are really high. I am just waiting for the alert to sound again saying it is a tornado WARNING and if that is the case I do believe we will be hauling the kiddos out of bed and down to the basement - my craft area is on the innermost wall of the finished basement, and it has a queen bed, so we will go in there if need be. I hope we don't need to. Of course I just pulled the sheets from when we had company in November and the bed isn't even made. I went ahead and brought down a clean set of sheets and we have the rest of the bedding available. There is also an alarm clock in there for John if we end up staying in there until time for him to get up for work. We haven't had to deal with tornado weather in I don't know how many years. It has me quite nervous. There goes the good sleep I was hoping for tonight. Allie and I had a busy day today. After we dropped Asher off at school - which we were LATE like we have never been late! As in leaving the house at 7:47 am when we should be leaving at 7:30 am!!!!!!!!!! Anyhoo thankfully his teachers aren't strict on that. Allie and I headed to the drop box at the post office, also the drop box at the library, then WalMart, then the bank, then grabbed some breakfast, then made it to Playgroup at around 10:15 am. We enjoyed it! Our Playgroup meets usually the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays each month at a local church basement. It is a great place to meet, and the people in the group are wonderful friends. I had a great time catching up with my mom friends and Allie loved playing with all the other kids! We ended up staying at Playgroup until about 1:30 and then killing time until we picked up Asher at 2:45 pm. Then we headed to the pediatrician's office for him to re-check Allie's ears. Ever since her double ear infection a month or so ago I am way paranoid with the ears. And she has been super fussy the last few days and not sleeping well - same as last time. Thank goodness her ears are CLEAR and we guess the fussiness is just not sleeping well and possibly teething. Oh, and she weighs 19 lbs 12 oz! So, hoping we can get the sleeping issues worked out with getting on schedule better. Yeah, and good luck with that. Asher's teachers told me at pickup that he invited them over for a celebration party tonight at our house in his playroom, and that he had all kinds of food and decorations and party lights! Teehee. He has been setting up a food picnic on his train table of all things (with pretend food) and talking about hosting a celebration party to me for the last few days. Yesterday he asked John to hang up some nails in his playroom so he can hang lights. He is so funny. I told him at the end of the month we will celebrate Allie's birthday and he can help with that. Of course I don't think we are doing anything big but we will at least have a cake and so forth. Tonight I finished removing ALL of the Christmas decorations - oh yeah! Feels good! I absolutely LOVE Christmas, but by the first of January I am ready to convert my house back and get on with the new year. I also worked some more in the downstairs area organizing, in particular the "furnace room" - which holds all of the seasonal decorations plus the deep freeze, homemade canned goods, extra egg cartons, etc. That room was a wreck! It now looks awesome! Even John noticed, and trust me, that's pretty good. Soaked in the hot tub tonight which helped my aching back. I still can't believe I am so decrepit! Ha! John planted some lettuce today in the garden. He says he's not sure if it will make this early, and the deer will probably eat it all (yum, greens!) but I guess this spring-like weather/temps got him thinking gardening. He has also been poring through the multiple seed catalogs that keep arriving in the mail, thinking of what we want to order and plant this season. Oh, and we have our first dozen eggs available to sell! I have to update my egg list and start rotating through. Someone that John works with asked for a green egg as his wife is a preschool teacher in Ohio and they have never seen green eggs. I am sending 3 with him tomorrow. I know they will get a kick out of that. It feels so good to have enough eggs to feed us and to also provide to others - it is pennies money-wise ($2 a dozen) but it still means the farm is producing! :) Yay! With my 8 hens we will have around 3 dozen a week to sell. Alright, guess I will try to catch some sleep. Praying the bad weather avoids us completely!