Friday, July 11, 2008

friday?

This has been a strange week. John has been on call Mon/Wed and had to work late both days, yet didn't have to go in the following day so that's a big bonus, but it makes us all feel like it might already be the weekend with him home during the week, lol. He is on call today, tomorrow and Sunday and as of now gets to stay home Monday! I picked up some nasty GI bug and was sick all day Wednesday and yesterday. Yesterday afternoon I was over the hump of it and spent the late afternoon outside mowing in the sunshine. I had to go slower than usual to avoid the bumpiness. :( Thankfully today I have been mostly back to normal. Asher had an upset tummy on Wednesday morning but that was it, thank goodness. And Allie & John are fine. When I got Allie down for her nap today Asher and I went outside to do some serious weeding. Our front landscaping was in dire need. We just aren't out front very often and it really creeps up on us! We spent from about 11:30 am until after 3 pm outside. We took two breaks from weeding to go swimming to cool down. And of course we took frequent breaks in the shade to drink water and get out of the sun. Asher had a toy flute outside and would blow it for "break time!" and then when I would get up to start working again, he would blow it again and say "break's over, back to work!" which is a phrase I use jokingly all the time. We got the entire front landscaping weeded including the worst of it, the monkey grass that lines the entire sidewalk that John planted last fall. He didn't take enough grass out for my taste and the monkey grass had grown into the grass, it was just a big mess. Not to mention all of the WEEDS! So I had the green cart attached to the 4-wheeler, and my handy gloves and spade and it looks absolutely fabulous if I do say so myself, lol. I hosed the walk off when I was done of any loose dirt or landscape rock and I was very pleased to show John what we had gotten done while he was at work. He got done around 2 pm and went to WalMart, our weekly trip - we have gone on Friday for the last month - and made it home to put up groceries, swim with us and then get called back in around 5:30 pm to do a c-section and another epidural. Next on the outdoor list is weeding the back landscaping which is the monkey grass that I planted a couple of months ago that lines the walk and pool. I have already weeded it TWICE this summer. I am happy to be done with the planting back there (for now!) and hopefully expanded landscaping will be in the budget next year. I still have a couple of pots of monkey grass from LAST FALL that never got planted that I am going to use to fill in spots in the front that didn't make. I called Asher's school today to find out when the Open House is and found out it is July 31st at 7 pm. They will have a cook-out and we will get to meet his teacher and see his classroom. I am excited and I know he will be, too! I am waiting to tell him until it is closer. The other reason I had called was to find out if it was a big deal for him to miss the first two days of school, Aug 7 and 8 which is a Thur and Fri. John is on vacation starting August 2 and we are talking about a trip to Mississippi to pick up this tractor we have had our eye on. Nothing is for sure yet with it, we are waiting for the guy to get back to us about our current tractor's trade-in value. But if it works out, we will go see his parents and take our tractor/pick up new tractor. But I hate to be on a time crunch to get back by Tuesday so we can have Wednesday to rest and Ash start school on the Thurs. Anyway, the lady I spoke with said it was not a big deal, to just let them know and they wouldn't even count him absent those 2 days, it would just be like Monday was his first day. Pretty cool and that definitely gives us options. But, the tractor deal has to work out just so for that to all fly. I would love to go see Mimi & Papa for a visit, have been wanting to for the last month but with gas prices so high John has said no. They are actually talking of coming here for a couple of days when they go to Illinois to see Grandmother in mid-August. But if we go there at the first of August then they won't come here. But either way we will see them in about a month. Asher is excited! Alright, guess I am outta here! Hopefully this will be a quiet weekend again for John on call. It is supposed to rain maybe on Sunday, so I figure we will work outside some tomorrow and then stay in on Sunday. I have to finish the sun hat I am making for my sister Sheri (in Arkansas) and get it boxed up to be sent to her by Monday. I want her to have it before she goes on vacation to California! I am almost done with it, just a few finishing topstitching needed. It is CUTE! I love the material and hope she is happy with it. The hardest part with the hats is the sizing, so I am praying it fits her just right.