Thursday, August 28, 2008
rain, glorious rain!
Oh, I am so happy we got rain yesterday! We needed it, umm, desperately. Now we need to mow, though. LOL
Today was Library Storytime. I am still irate about it. The children's librarian should really be something, anything, other than a children's librarian. She is impatient and short tempered and not engaging and animated and fun. She is a drag. It is frustrating to haul the kids (well, now only one kid but still) all the way there and then deal with an underlying attitude of "I'd rather be getting a root canal than dealing with these people and their kids". Today was the last straw for me. Not that I know what I am going to do about it. LOL.
Here's what happened. We arrived 5 minutes late along with two others, and we were BANNED from going in the room. OMG!!! Seriously?! We asked the librarian behind the desk where was storytime? As the children's section was quiet with no one. Come to find out, they (or just the children's librarian?) decided to move storytime into the meeting room, which is cramped, stuffy and claustrophobic. WTH? There is more than enough room in the children's section. They have had storytime in there before, when they were cleaning carpets several months ago, and it was MISERABLE. They (she?) did this today to "minimize disruptions" of people milling around (parents looking for books while children listening to stories?) and people coming in late and parents talking. Ooookay. That is just juvenile in my opinion. If something is bothering you, then talk about it. Don't just change the rules like a 3 year old playing checkers (I heard that line on Burn Notice last week, isn't it hilarious and so true?!). That room has double doors so they could close and shut out the latecomers. We were told we would have to wait until the 11:15 storytime. I don't think so.
So me and the other 2 latecomers went on into the children's area and had our own version of storytime until they dismissed from the meeting room. I didn't want to just leave as I needed to see my buddies that made it in the room before the doors were closed. LOL. They all came into the children's section afterwards because, hmm, that's where the BOOKS are and I told them what happened. They were shocked. Anyway, we ended up going on to McDonald's with everyone else and had a good visit (me) and good fun playing (Allie) until time to head home around 1 pm.
John was to golf today with Casey (my new friend's husband, one of the pediatricians here in town) and his pastor. He ended up having to stay later at work this morning (all the way until 10:30, poor baby! LMAO) and missed tee time so came on home to tend to the bees. They have been a bit neglected lately. Several hives are gone and others have issues. Very frustrating. No honey this year. I don't know the full extent as I haven't logged everything down, but just know what John mentioned on the coming and going of making food and medicine for the hives on the various farms.
We are getting around 25 eggs a day now. Full production will be around 36. We were ready to get rid of some chickens as we didn't have the people lined up consistently that we thought we would have. However, after some phone calls and emails we are getting things figured out and looks like we will have enough people to sell them to. I don't mind the gathering and cleaning (although it gets a little old, but Asher can help) it's the having an entire shelf in my fridge full of dozens of eggs and no one to sell or give them to!
John took Ash to Flag Football practice tonight, started at 6 pm. They should be home within 30 minutes or so. Asher was soooo excited and I hope it went well. We will get a game schedule although the coach told me on the phone that games will be on Tuesdays at either 5:30 or 6:30 pm and that practice would be 30 minutes prior, that way we condense it to one night a week - yay! He has a kindergartener as well.
I am feeling a bit overwhelmed with packing for the trip. Nothing new, I always do. I start out thinking no big deal, and then halfway through I am like ooooh, this is too much! LOL. I just don't know how to pack light.
I tried to talk some sense, oops I mean talk to, John some more this afternoon about the dog. I asked him to reconsider taking her, that to me that is work and I am trying to get a BREAK from things by heading out of town for a few days. He says HE will take care of her but I am like, then who is helping with the kids? LOL. He says he will do everything he can to help. And I know that. My whole point is WHY. Why take her when we don't have to? Why voluntarily bring the hassle? I said this to him and that I just didn't understand the want-to behind it, especially when I am so against it. Argh.
So tomorrow will be a busy, busy day. 10 am, Chiro for me. I am sure I will be there a good hour and a half or longer. And I have to talk Allie unless John is done early (I have no idea what his schedule looks like for tomorrow). Then home for her nap. While she is napping, I have to pack us unless I do it tonight - but even if I start tonight I won't get it all done as Allie is already in her bed and Asher will be in his shortly after getting home - he has already had supper, will just need a bath. We are trying to get him in the bed earlier as his attitude has been poor this week, and he has gotten a "yellow" card TWICE. At school his card starts at green and if he gets into trouble (after repeated warnings) then it gets flipped to yellow. Next step is orange and then red! So Monday he had a yellow and again yesterday. Yesterday was a biggie as Wednesdays are the Wii days, since he gets home at 2:45 instead of 4 due to early dismissal. BUT he knows if he doesn't stay on green, he doesn't get to play. He was very upset but I hope it helped make an impression. I wanted to cave (heck I wanted to play, too!) but knew I couldn't. So, both kids were in the bed by 6:30 last night and WOW they needed it.
John will grill when he gets home. We have steaks marinating and I have fresh farmer's market corn, wild rice, fresh squash/zucc, and mushrooms prepped and ready to go.
I am working on a blog for my craft stuff, which is called ABB Creations. I will use it to post my projects and works in progress, etc. This way I will have a dedicated place to show the fabric choices, things that I do, etc, without having to go all out on an online store which I am not ready to do yet.
Craft wise this week I have gotten some things done, sewing anyways. So much for scrapbooking this month. I got two measly layouts done. But anyway! Focus on the positive! LOL. I finished the rocket blanket for a friend's son, and it turned out fabulous. My first time sewing a blanket out of cotton instead of flannel. I did take a pic but don't have my camera down here - will post later. Also got done another blanket, and started on the dance tote for Ginger, and did the baby girl burpies that I needed to do. Yay! I wish I could create all day long. But I know this early years with Allie will go by all too quickly and then I will wonder, where did the time go? The house will be so quiet!
OK, outta here!!