Saturday, August 30, 2008

We're here!

We made it! Left KY around 5 pm yesterday. NO DOG. Yay! I am so glad to not have to mess with her. I know we would have dealt with it, but am so glad to NOT have to. I think I mentioned the other day that she had rolled around in something nasty while out running. Her back was all wet and she smelled like, oooh I don't even know how to describe it, but I was in the chicken yard cleaning out their water and Jill came up to the fence and I was like, what is that rank smell?? I thought it was something with the water mixing with the dirt? But had never noticed it before? Then I realized that it was the DOG and she had gotten into something so horrid. So it was worse than the chicken yard smell, if that helps! LOL So, there wasn't time to bathe her that night. John said he would do it before we left on Friday. Obviously she stayed in her outside kennel and did not come in the house. He got her out of the kennel around 2 pm Friday to bathe her, and ended up washing her THREE times with two different things and the smell is STILL there! The collar is ruined. So he comes inside and says to me, "Well you get your wish." And I say, "What are you talking about?" I had been packing and was in a tizzy to say the least and didn't even realize he was bathing her. He told me he had washed her 3 times and the smell was better but still there and he knew me, and knew with my bionic nose I would be able to smell it in the car not to mention the hotel at night. I mean, you can't even pet her without the smell. He thinks it will wear off eventually. It's not a skunk smell either. Just no clue but WOW so nasty. I was just so relieved! The Expedition would have been crammed with her kennel taking up 2/3 of the back and all our stuff. With 2 kids, even a weekend trip turns into a big deal. Not to mention just having to take care of one more thing when we didn't have to. He still was trying to think of ways around it, to try to take her anyway, but finally conceded. She is just so hyper still and not well mannered after coming home from training - ironic isn't it? But that was BIRD training not obedience. They didn't work with her at all on jumping up, etc and she lived outside 24/7 so she is still adjusting to "home life". She would have had to stay in Grammy's outside kennel anyhow, would not have come in the house here. So I felt like, what's the point? She can stay outside at our house just the same. The Maves are coming over today and tomorrow to take care of her, the cats, the saltwater fish, and to collect eggs and check on the turkeys. With a farm, getting out of town is so much more work. As I mentioned - I detest packing. I get so worked up over it. I try to tell myself it's no big deal. But I procrastinate doing it and then feel stressed over having everything we need. I make lists, I set out bags. It doesn't help. So far I have everything we need and not too much more. LOL. John stays calm and just does what I ask as far as putting things in the car and otherwise tries to stay out of the way. The hotel we are staying, Hampton Inn, is brand new, I don't think it has been open even 6 months. It is fabulous. Very modern and up to date, clean and new smelling still. Nice amenities. The room is a bit on the small side, especially with the crib they brought in for us - it is an actual crib, not a pack-n-play, very nice! John said, "Look, no teeth marks!" Haha. We arrived about 11 pm Eastern Time (10 pm Central). The kids had fallen asleep in the car around 9:30 pm - can't believe they made it that long actually. My back did alright. It definitely started acting up after an hour and a half of driving. We stopped a few times for gas/restrooms/dinner/stretch. We all slept well. Oh - Allie's nose started running on the way here. And she was sneezing often. Greeeat. Like we need to get Grandmother sick. So we are trying to wash hands and keep that contained. We came over to Gram's around 10 am this morning. It was soooo good to pull up on her street in front of her house! I love visiting here. Asher started checking everything out immediately, I think maybe he remembers some things - last time we were here was July of last summer, so he would have been 4. Allie did great, too. No shyness or being intimidated. Just right to it. LOL. I think she knew this is family and where we were supposed to be. :) I gave Grandmother her blanket this morning - and we talked sewing for awhile. We have also talked jewelry and I snapped some super cute pics of Allie and John trying on rings. This is a tradition, every time we come we do the jewelry thing. I love it. She is passing on to us two very important pieces of jewelry to her: her mother's watch and her father's ring. I have taken pics and will share later - no way to upload here. She feels like the namesakes should have them, so Allison is getting the watch and Ash the ring. As most of you know Allie's middle name is Butler which is Grandmother's father's first name, and Asher's middle name is Biggs which is Grandmother's father's last name, obviously Grandmother's maiden name. I just love all of the family connections. I'm so glad to be a part of this family. Aunt Carolyn (John's mom's sister) drove down to spend the day with us today here at Grandmothers. She is a retired school teacher and still teaches piano. She brought some neat educational goodies for the kids. Ash said to me he really wished Mimi and Papa were here, they met us here last summer when I brought the kids by myself when Allie was 5 months old. OK, I guess that's it. Allie is trying to take a nap, not doing so hot with that. Ash is resting watching cartoons with Carolyn. And John and Grandmother are talking family history. I'm going to check on Allie. We will all go out to eat an early supper when she gets up from her nap. I just realized I don't have access to my email so no one will probably read this until I get home. LOL