Monday, September 1, 2008

Goodbye August, Welcome September!

We are home! Home, sweet home. I love the actual traveling - visiting, seeing new and different things, making discoveries, but I love coming home. The packing and then unpacking and getting settled back in, not so much. But the feelings of security and happiness in being in our own home, yes. I am still amazed, almost daily, at where John and I are in our lives. God is so good! We decided to drive back last night. We had thought to do that last week, when I was making hotel reservations, but we weren't sure how the children would do driving so late in the day on Friday and didn't want to sign up for doing it again Sunday night in case it was awful. Thankfully, it went very well both days. Better than during the daytime for sure. The kids conked out last night a bit late, around 10 pm, but then slept until we got home a bit after midnight. Sunday morning we headed back over to Grammy's around 10 am (Eastern Time - we just stayed on Eastern! LOL). Aunt Carolyn came back down after church, arriving around 1 pm. We had a wonderful lunch of lasagna and salad and bread. It was the best lasagna John or I had ever eaten! It came from a restaurant in Aunt Carolyn's town. Soooooo yummy. Did I mention yummy? Allie actually took a 3 hour nap that day - yippee! So she was in fine form. Asher did alright too, played with Aunt Carolyn and talked with Grammy, but it was harder for him not being as active as he is used to being at home. He and Aunt Carolyn did toss the football around outside and took the dog (Aunt Carolyn's) for a walk, but the mosquitoes were so terrible there that we stayed inside mostly. Thank goodness for the V-Smile and his new Toy Story game. I took a ton of pics. The photo of the week, on the sidebar, is a close-up of Asher wearing his Great-Great-Grandfather's ring (Grammy's father, Butler Biggs). Since that is his namesake she passed that on to him. I mentioned this in the previous post. The ring has an engraved B on it. The watch is from Grandmother's mother, May Reed Biggs. We are so humbled and honored to be entrusted with these two precious pieces of Grandmother's history. Here is a serious pic of Asher sitting next to some photos of Grandmother's history - her and her parents. The bottom right pic in the frame is of her and her mother, and the only picture that shows her mother wearing the watch. I was explaining to him the history and seriousness of these gifts and I think he somewhat got it. I was so proud of how careful he was with them and how well he listened with posing. His face is so solemn in these pics, I love how REFLECTIVE he looks. I took a series of photos of Allie and a framed picture of Judy (John's mom) when she was close to the same age. We were trying to mimic the pose exactly but as you all can imagine, that is quite difficult! I think we got close though. I will be putting all of the pics on Snapfish but here is a favorite: We think Allie looks so much like a little Judy! Aunt Carolyn and Gram were just smitten. However, after Grandmother looked at Asher's special photo album "scrapbook" that he brought to share with her, she really thought Allie favored my mom as well. Mom, you have been saying that, haven't you?! :) She says she has "the same sparkle in her eyes". So it is the end of August. I feel a bit disappointed with my goals and word of that month, DISCOVER. Just didn't hit home as much as some of my previous words of the month. But, let's review. Asher started Kindergarten, and I DISCOVERED how brave and grown up he is. I DISCOVERED one-on-one time with Allie again. And I DISCOVERED how wonderful chiropractic care really is - I am doing so much better - it will be a long road but I'm making good progress. We have both DISCOVERED new friends. Onward to September. I am determined to make the most of my word this month, which is REFLECT. I am excited and ready!