Thursday, September 11, 2008

Flag Football, and other events!

It's Thursday, and Allie is down for her nap (fingers crossed she is ASLEEP, I haven't heard her on the monitor!) and I am trying to get motivated to blog. I have a ton of stuff I want to put on here, I just need to be blogging more frequently because when I wait then I have so much mulling around in my head. Flag football - We went Tuesday night for the 2nd game. With great trepidation. Thankfully the weather had turned cool due to a front and it was only about 70 degrees. We were in pants and lightweight jackets! Very different from just the week before when it was 95. Crazy! Asher had gotten home shortly after I published the last blog post. I had not taken care of the chickens or even fed the dogs that day, so we hurried to do all of that together, with Allie - who had never went to sleep - and get to football on time. We were actually 15 minutes late as I kept forgetting something else we needed as I was backing out of the garage and had to keep running back in the house. Grr! We also ran out of time to do his homework before the game. He gets home at 4 and we needed to leave by 4:45 and I don't know what I was thinking, thinking that I could fit everything in 45 minutes. Oh well, I will remember for next week, as his game is at 5 then, too. Actually his practice is 30 minutes prior to the game, so we were fine. The game went wonderfully! The Maves arrived and set up their chairs next to Allie and me and things got started. John was still at work, finishing up epidurals. He arrived a little before halftime. Anyway, Asher pulled the first THREE flags the first plays of the game (they were defense first)! He was so excited and I was so proud of him. His team ended up winning 16-12. They do the 2 pt conversion for the extra points, and his team got 2 touchdowns and both conversions, one of which Asher ran in!!!! GO ASHER!!!!! But the best thing about the whole game was his attitude!!! We had been talking about it and about having fun and playing together as a team, etc. And he did so great. I hope we can keep up that enthusiasm and positive attitude. 4 more weeks to go! LOL. Pictures are next Saturday the 20th at 10:30 am. I was a bit surprised and don't plan to buy any, figure we'll take our own, but we'll see. John only got to stay about 20 minutes, then got called back. Jeff offered to go for him, but John knew it would last awhile plus he had several epidurals going, and was fine going on ahead in. Asher didn't mind at all, he was excited to see Dad for awhile and he knows already how John's work is. We did go to supper with Cathy and Adam afterwards - with Allie not having a nap I wasn't sure how she would do, but we went to Bob Evans where the service is pretty quick and she did really well until the end of the meal, so we hightailed it outta there. It was a late evening, she went straight to bed - no bath - and I think it was 8:15 pm with NO NAP. Asher got in and out of the bath quickly and straight to bed by 8:30 pm, no homework or reading. So last night, Wednesday, we had to do double homework and he struggled a bit with that. So next week we will try to get homework done as soon as he gets off the bus (yuck!) so it isn't hanging over his head. There is about 20-30 minutes of homework each night except Fri/Sat/Sun. However, he is doing really well with his "sight words", he has learned: am, at, it, the, I, little and is working this week on but, can. He has 4 spelling words each week and has to practice with them, different exercises each night, and take a pre-test on Thursdays in preparation for the spelling test on Fridays. He aced last weeks, yay! There are also other worksheets to do and sometimes special projects. Whew!!! Plus we usually read 15 minutes every night and log that down (but we read anyway so used to that). Yesterday was also early dismissal when they get out at 2 pm instead of 3:15. So he was home around 2:50. Wednesdays are Wii days as long as his card stays on green at school. It did yesterday so we played Star Wars for about an hour and then he played a little of Carnival Games. It was such a beautiful day, we were outside part of it. Penny and Jill are re-acquainted and I wasn't here for the initial part of it, thank goodness - I was at my Girls' Night Out. The Pawsat's ended up bringing her all the way to our house as it was after 9 pm! The trainer had gotten a late start. John said Penny growled at Jill at first and they had to re-establish dominance (Jill has always been the dominant one). I am not sure who I would consider to be the dominant one now. Anyway, we are using the e-collars when we run them on the 4 wheeler to be on the safe side, so they won't run off. They are doing great though, staying close and playing/running around and if they do go off they are listening very well. For the most part! It is good to have them both home. Last night John bathed them and they both needed it desperately. I wish we could keep them in the house 24/7 but as of now we only have one indoor kennel and they are too big to both be in it. Not sure what we will do about that. But we are having them in and with us as much as possible, but they are sleeping outside in their outdoor kennel. Today was Grandparent Lunch day at Asher's school, for the kindergarten. Of course none of his grandparents are close enough to attend, so I emailed the teacher to see if parents were allowed if grandparents couldn't come. Of course she said yes. So I took Allie to Storytime at 10 am and then headed to the school at 11 am. Allie and I ate the school lunch and Asher had brought his. He was so happy to see us and told me after we ate that he was a little worried I wouldn't come. I asked him, why? Because I told him I would be there! And he said he forgot for a minute. LOL. And I told him when I say I will do something, I will do it! After lunch we all meet back in the classroom and Mrs Hughes had a powerpoint presentation of video clips of the children all saying why they loved their grandparents. Asher was well spoken and said, "I love my grandparents because every year my mommy plans a trip to go and see them." Too cute! I was just glad he didn't say he loved them because they bought him stuff, as several children DID say that! LMAO! I am totally kicking butt on Mario Kart lately. I have unlocked the 4 extra cups on the 50cc karts racing. Woohoo! I am currently working on the 100cc bike racing. It is so much fun. Unfortunately Asher doesn't like to play it that much, it is hard for him, he would much rather play Star Wars. So I am getting my Mario Kart time in during naptime some, or after kids are in bed when John works late - he ended up staying Tuesday night (after he went back in from football) and never came home, was up until 2:30 am and then worked the next day until the afternoon. Ugh! He is on call again today but hopefully it won't be a long one. We have also unlocked almost all of the levels on Star Wars, and are still having a good time playing it together. We are working on the levels from the movies I, II, and III, the "new" but earlier ones, that Asher hasn't seen. So he isn't into them as much as the original episode levels IV,V, and VI that he has seen. And on a somber note, my thoughts and prayers are with the families of victims of 9-11 today. What a horrible, tragic day we endured 7 years ago now. God Bless America!!!