Thursday, October 16, 2008

feeling better about things

The conference today went GREAT. Cathy came out (thanks again!) around 3 pm and stayed with Allie and met Asher at the bus stop so John and I could head into town for our 4 pm meeting with Mrs Hughes. While there we also got to see all of the pumpkin displays and I was kicking myself for not having my camera! There was a SpongeBob, Bob the Builder, Clifford, and on and on. They were wonderful! Mrs Hughes went over the first 9 weeks progress. One set of scores, he needs to have a 75 to be able to move on to Kindergarten. Well, after only the first term, he has a 71. She is definitely NOT concerned with his learning. We talked about the behavior issue and it is not just Asher (as we suspected). She is implementing a new behavior plan for the entire class, which incorporates a Blue card to the system. Exceptional behavior gets a Blue. Then there are rewards, etc. Asher will also have a weekly Behavior Contract starting on Monday. He and Mrs Hughes went over it today and he signed it and she signed it, and there is a place for 2 rewards at home that we are to discuss and both John and I sign as well and send back to her tomorrow. I know one of the rewards is Ash wants a special dinner with Mrs Cathy and Mr Jeff and Adam. He set a goal for himself of 3 Green cards next week. If he meets his goal there is a reward system, and he also has a dot-to-dot dinosaur that good behavior will help connect the dots and there will be a reward. She thinks this will be a good start and as time goes on we will shift and change as we need to with his progress. She is also going to change up seating again tomorrow. Overall it went very well, I felt much relieved and enjoyed spending 30 minutes without interruption with her. Oh, I also mentioned my frustration over the lack of recess. She agreed, and then looked a little sheepish and said she and Mrs Fraysure (next door class - they do a lot together) keep the kids out 30-40 minutes instead of 20, and also sometimes head outside to do math as it is mostly oral. I was glad to hear it! Afterward John headed home and I stayed in town and met a friend for a pedicure and then we headed over to Girls' Night Out at Applebee's. It was our other friend Melanie's last one with us as she is moving next week. We all had a great time visiting and the time flew by - as it always does. John was off today and earlier he and Jeff went fishing for a few hours. They caught about 16 crappie or so and overall enjoyed the day! It was beautiful although the weather is starting to turn cooler. Two days ago it was 85 and tomorrow it is only supposed to be 60. Is Fall finally here?? I also got to sew for an hour or so during naptime - it has been such a busy week, out every morning and 2 of the nights and I was in need of some craft time. Tomorrow we have nothing planned and I am so glad. We really need a down day! OK, off to wind down a bit before bedtime!