Saturday, October 18, 2008

to clear it up

Just to clarify, as many have inquired - the parent/teacher conference for Asher was school-wide, it was NOT because he was having behavior issues. It had been on the books for weeks as it is the end of the first 9 weeks. It just happened to coincide with needing some changes in the reward/consequence system. I think I also forgot to mention that his teacher is changing up homework starting in November. We commented that 20-30 minutes every night was hard on him, and she said she has heard that a lot from the other parents and she wants to try a new system of sending home monthly homework and then there are daily things to do and she will still check things each week. There will still be spelling words and such so who knows if it will be less time or hassle but she said she'd send home a survey at the end of the month of Nov to see what everyone thought. It's nice that she is open to change if necessary! I just booked our hotel for part 1 of our December trip - kids and I are leaving the day after Christmas, Friday the 26th, and are driving over to Illinois to visit with Grandmother. Larry and Judy are also driving up that day. The kids and I will stay until Sunday morning and then drive down to Hot Springs (about 8.5 hours) where we'll stay until New Year's Day, then head back towards Kentucky making a pit stop in Memphis at Larry and Judy's for a night or two. I am EXCITED even though it is still a way off! Also, our Thanksgiving plans are up in the air. John is off for sure the Thursday but we never know about the Friday until Wednesday before! Grr. Asher is out of school the Wed-Fri. We might make the drive to Memphis to spend Thanksgiving with them, but I do hate to leave John behind (although he says he will just fish! lol). I am going to wait until a little closer to see what we feel like doing and how it all works out. The December trip will be just shy of a month later than that, and it will be a biggie, but on the flip side I would LOVE to spend Thanksgiving with Mimi and Papa!! John took Asher and went to WalMart, Lowe's and Tractor Supply this morning. He doesn't always take him, but Ash stayed on green Tue-Fri and so he had a special ice cream treat coming to him. :) And it's always nice for the two of them to have some time together. I got Allie down for her nap and played a couple of rounds of MarioKart and then did 30+ minutes of Wii Fit. Then the boys came home and we unloaded groceries, then John headed outside to mow and Ash did his Wii Fit and then we played Mario Galaxy for 30 minutes or so, then ate an extremely late lunch. Tomorrow is the Halloween Party at the Country Club starting at 4 pm. It sounds like it will be FUN! There is a costume contest, scavenger hunt, games, buffet and more. Some of our friends and their kids will be there and I am definitely looking forward to going. Allie is up now, so better go!