Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Fall, oh Fall, where are you??

Why is it that Fall is almost non-existent nowadays? It is my favorite season. I know a lot of people feel that way. I love being able to wear a tee and pants with sandals and have some sunshine but not too hot. I love Fall! The changing leaves, holidays around the corner, crisp night air. Right now, at 1 pm, it is 32 degrees but feels like 25. We've already had a couple of days of spitting snow. I. Am. Cold!!! Yesterday I took Asher to school. I needed to run some errands anyway and I thought it would be a nice treat. Yes, I said treat. He now hates riding the bus. You may recall when school first started how much he liked the bus. I guess the novelty has worn off. He says it's too long, too noisy and he just doesn't like it. He asks every week if we can take him and pick him up. He even devised an entire plan of John taking him and me getting him. John says no way are we going to commute him in when the bus goes right by our drive. And I do understand that, and the afternoons we definitely need him to ride it home with Allie's naptime. But it just hurts my heart to hear him be miserable, you know? I never liked riding the bus and I remember those feelings. So, Tuesday morning I let him sleep in an extra 40 minutes, had made him a big hot breakfast, and then loaded him and Allie up to drive into town. I was planning on just dropping him off in the line, but he begged for me and Allie to come inside. So I relented even though it was COLD and SNOWING and went in. I don't mind going in, it's just an extra hassle with getting Allie in and out of the car. I like seeing his class and his teacher and staying connected. Ash has had good behavior for 11 school days in a row! We are so proud of him. As a reward last week his teacher emailed and asked if she could take him to a basketball game after Thanksgiving, along with another teacher and student. Of course we said yes. (I can't remember if I already blogged this.) Asher was so excited to earn that reward and can't wait to go! A funny last night, courtesy of Ash. I was getting the kids' plates together for dinner and Asher made a comment about how I had cut his meat. He wasn't happy about it. The hours of 5-7 are definitely the witching hours at our house, for the kids and for me. I just struggle with that time of day! Anyway, I wasn't in the mood for lip about it, and informed him that there are many little boys who don't have any food for dinner tonight, and he quickly retorts, "Well, I bet there are many who have better food than this too!" I was speechless. That was NOT what I expected to come out of his mouth! I managed to not crack up (or blow my stack, haha) and said we should just be grateful for what we have and not complain. Whew! John's cell phone was out of commission yesterday - the SIM card in it was fried. I had to take it to the local AT&T dealer this morning for a replacement. While there I picked the guys brain about the iPhone which of course we both want but don't want to dish out the dough for it, upfront and monthly. I don't know what we'll do about it, I don't think we'll get it yet...although I would love for John to have it, maybe Christmas?? Allie and I also made a couple of other stops that needed to be done and then took John's phone to the hospital to give to him. His co-workers all love seeing the kids and haven't seen Allie in a few months. She was definitely being Daddy's girl while there and soaked up all the attention. :) Tomorrow is Library Storytime and then on to McDonald's Playland for a bit. Then head home for naptime, and Cathy is coming out to watch Allie again for me so that I can go to the Speech Appointment at 2 pm. It is just formality to sign papers saying OK for Asher to start therapy. The evaluation she did of course came back that he needed it. He might get in a session before Thanksgiving and then he'll get in a few weeks before Christmas break. I think she will send some stuff home for us to be aware of/work on during the breaks. We are planning on staying home for the Thanksgiving holiday. Ash is out of school the Wed-Fri and John is off the Thur but will probably have to work a bit on the Friday. Then John is on vacation the entire next week but Ash has school. Alright, going to check on Allie who should be asleep by now!