Wednesday, January 7, 2009

A phone call.

Amazing how life changes so quickly, isn't it? One phone call. My mom called this morning, and as soon as I saw the caller ID I knew it wouldn't be good, not at that hour. She had been emailing with all us kids since Sunday regarding Grandma, her mom. She lives in California with my mom's oldest sister. Grandma is 93 and has lived with my aunt for several years. Sunday she was admitted to the hospital with strep pneumonia, and put on a ventilator. I feared it was the beginning of the end. However, Monday she had stabilized some. Then yesterday they tried to take her off the vent twice and she was unable to do so, her heart is weak and they suspect she has also suffered a heart attack. My aunts (mom has two older sisters as well as a younger brother) said it was time for mom to come out. When she arrives, they will take Grandma off of the vent and they do not expect her to survive. My mom will be flying out today and arriving late tonight in California. I do not know if they will go straight to the hospital tonight or wait until morning. This is obviously a sad time for our family. Please keep my mom and grandma and all the family in your thoughts and prayers. We have hope in seeing Grandma again in Heaven, and we try to let that comfort us, but it is still so hard to say goodbye! I am praying for comfort, strength, and God's grace to sustain and see us all through. And I am reminded again of God's mercy through the sacrifice of His Son Jesus Christ, so that we may all have HOPE. Death is NOT the end.