Monday, August 31, 2009
Too Little, Too Late
That about describes my attempt at not getting sick. After my last post on Tuesday, that evening I started feeling off and sure enough, up until 4a sick with the same bug the kids had, except I must have had it 10x worse and I am so not exaggerating. However, I will spare you and I both the details and just say that here it is almost a week later and I am still recovering. I am just about 100% though.
Our new fridge arrived on Thursday as scheduled, and the first words out of one of the workers mouth was, "I'm telling ya right now it ain't gonna fit." To which I replied, "Well I measured and I'm telling you, we'll MAKE it fit." And who was right? I was. It squeezed in perfectly thank you very much! The old fridge is now in the garage housing drinks and popsicles and any extra overflow of food we may have. Ash is in complete awe of the new fridge. It is the French Doors that open on top and then the bottom freezer. It is really neat and I am so happy with it!!! Every time he walks by it he says how cool it is. He will open it and say, "Look at all this space, we need more food!" lol
The weather has been absolutely beautiful again here these last few days. Only in the 70s and sunshine. Yesterday during Allie's non-nap Ash and I worked outside on our blueberries. They have done horribly this year due to all the rain resulting in a root disease. The rain also exploded the grass around them and we had already weeded them 2 or 3x this season. Well yesterday I weeded every single one, all 58 of them. I was so proud of myself! I wanted to get it done so it would be off John's shoulders (he was working out of town this past weekend). After a quick break and getting Allie out of the crib, we came back outside to weed the fruit/nut trees and also the dogwoods lining our drive.
Our 7 cattle are doing well. John moved them back to the front pasture a week ago. A few evenings ago I went out after getting the kids to bed to take out the trash and let the girls (dogs) out to run a bit. After I finished, I was walking back towards the house and felt like someone/thing was watching me! I slowly turned my head to the left and there were 4 cow faces at the gate closest to the house staring me down. Their feed trough is close to that and they are spoiled! They want that sweet feed! It totally cracked me up though. It was like having puppy dog eyes on you, begging for a handout. lol
I have also noticed that when I whistle/call the girls after letting them run, the cattle come! We've come a long way from when we first got them and they would only come to John's voice and the feed bucket rattling, and then only if they felt like it.
Allie is such a good little farm hand. She especially likes taking care of "the boys" (cattle) as she calls them. She helps me scoop the portions of feed into a bucket, then we take it to the trough, and as long as I stay low to the ground the cattle will come and eat with us right there on the other side of the fence. Allie pours the feed in one scoop at a time, through the wire fence. She of course still loves to help with the chickens and their treats and gathering eggs, and checking on the baby quail and big quail. And feeding the dogs.
Ash is getting to be even more of a help on the farm as well. He can herd the chickens in the evening back into their yard, and also opens/closes gates and just about anything else you ask him to do! He is still our outside boy, that's for sure, but a wasp sting a couple of weeks ago has shied him away a bit from being far from us.
Let's see, what else? I feel like we have been hermits lately with the illness we have been battling. I was hoping to get back into the swing of things today but it wasn't to be. Wednesday we are supposed to go to the Library and the Park with a few friends so hopefully that will still work out. I miss my friends, and I know Allie does too!
Alright, can't think of another thing to type about. It's about lunchtime here and before then I'm going to take Allie outside for a bit.