As many of you know by now, our puppies have made their appearance! Jill is a proud mama of 8 squirmy and sweet little ones! But before we get to that, here are a couple of pictures from the past week...
Here Jill is lounging on our kitchen couch. She likes to lay on her back like this with her head cocked to the side. She also loves us to rub and rub and rub that belly. She really doesn't look as big in pictures as real life.

And here is her garage kennel, or "nest". John did a great job on the whelping box, and it has insulation between it and the concrete, and layers of cardboard in it, topped off with something comfy. This is our attached garage, and that is the side John normally parks the truck. Thankfully I can still park on my side. :)

Her "due date" was Tuesday, and with each passing day I was getting more and more excited and anxious as Jill got more and more uncomfortable and incontinent (thank goodness for the Rug Doctor we just got!).
Friday afternoon she seemed off, and I had a feeling it would happen that night. I checked on her around 9p, and no puppies. She was shivering though, despite a very comfortable heated garage. John and I hot tubbed it, and when we came back inside John headed to bed and I headed to the garage to check on her one last time. She whined a bit when I poked my head out, and then I saw two little heads and heard squeaking! PUPPIES!!! I hurriedly called for John, and out we went to check out our new little additions. This was around 10:45p. We figure she started delivering @ 9:30p. Around 11:15p she delivered #3. It was AMAZING! I haven't seen puppies born since I was a child, and I barely remember that.
I was truly in awe watching the miracle of life, seeing the pup take its first breath, and watching Jill's instincts kick in and take care of business. #4 pup came quickly, maybe 15 minutes later, as she hadn't had time to fully take care of #3. Then we had a little wait for #5, a girl who was a little smaller than the previous pups. She was also born breech! John thought that might be it, but I told him I could feel another one and so we waited. And waited. And waited some more. Finally, she began to push and delivered #6......and #7!!!!!!! TWINS! If we hadn't seen it with our own eyes we would have never known. One of the twins is a girl and was definitely the smaller of the two. I was scared for a few minutes but she came around fine. We breathed sighs of relief - including Jill! Jill began to relax and calm down and let the pups nurse. We thought, that's it! We were both wrong! I had guessed 6 pups and John had guessed 5.

It was around 2a by this point. We went inside to ready for bed, and John told me he wanted to check on her one last time before we turned in. He came back in and said, "Well, I guess we missed #8 being born!" I thought he was joking! But no, she had delivered the final pup while we were inside. Grand total: 5 boys and 3 girls. We set the alarm for 4a and I got up to check on her then (and make sure no more had been born, haha).
Saturday morning came way too early, and the kids were of course excited when we told them Jill had her puppies the night before. They think the pups are "tute" as Allie says, and want to go see them constantly. At first Jill was nervous with the kids, but by today she was relaxed and even lets us pick one up without freaking out.
Today, Day 2, Jill is doing even better than she already was. The puppies are clean, well-fed and content. She has slimmed down - now why can't humans do that so quickly after childbirth? - and has even let herself leave them for a few minutes to get some fresh air and exercise outside. The light was perfect streaming in the window so I took some more pictures. Jill is even more calm and relaxed than she was yesterday, and the puppies are just as happy as clams.
This picture is of one of the little girls sleeping against Mama's leg. She has really light markings.

Here's the whole brood nursing except the one nestled at her neck.

And a close up of the nestling little guy - too adorable!!!!! This is the wallpaper on my phone!

It has been a busy past week. John was on vacation and had a huge to do list, for inside and out. He got so much accomplished - I am really proud of him! One of the many things he did was to put up new shelving in Allie's closet. She had only the one shelf, and now she has the adjustable rail shelving with 2 shelves. It literally doubles her hanging space while still leaving room at the bottom for toy storage. And boy did we need that space! Hehehe.
Our dishwasher also went out. And yes, this is the dishwasher we have only had for 18 months. It has had 3 major issues - it's a Samsung by the way - and was out of warranty since we didn't get an extended on it. John was DONE. So he installed the new one Friday evening.
Friday afternoon Allie had her preschool screening at the public school (where Ash goes). She qualified for the next phase which is to go 2x a week, from 9a-11a, over the course of 3 weeks. Hopefully she will be accepted into the Fall and we can figure out a schedule for her. We have been torn over whether or not to do preschool, but decided to go ahead and do the screening and see what our options are. At this age, Ash was already in preschool 3 days a week and loving it! Of course she seems so much littler to me than he did. Isn't that weird? Whether it's because she's a girl or my last, I don't know. But wow was she excited to get to go to his school for the screening, and when I told her she is going to preschool class for a few weeks after Spring Break she literally jumped up and down hollering "YES!!! My go to Asher's school too!" She does great when I leave her at the YMCA in the childcare room, and that is usually for 2 hours, so I think she will do just fine. But I won't know what to do with myself for the 2 hours while she's there! Probably work out just as I normally would....or maybe get a pedicure/haircut...
Speaking of haircuts, Tuesday Allie has an appointment to get her first. I am READY! The ends tangle so badly. I am planning on getting around 2 inches cut off, no bangs though. When her hair is wet it touches her waist. The ends are so split though; they are her baby hair! However, it's also her curls getting lopped, and I do hope she still will have some curl to her hair.
Also on Tuesday the puppies go to the vet for dew claw removal and to have their tails docked. The appointment isn't until 5, and John is not on call so he will take the pups while I stay home with the kiddos. It won't be pleasant for anyone. We will hopefully keep Jill occupied as she will be so upset the pups aren't here. I think I will take her for a little run and then give her a good bath as she is pretty icky from the delivery.
Time to get dinner going!