Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Snow Day #......9!

Thankfully that is not in a row or I might be typing this from a padded room... But that is the amount of snow days since school started back for the second semester on Jan 4th. Amazingly we had zero snow days before Christmas Break. Yesterday, Presidents' Day, was supposed to be a make-up day but the snowstorm hit early that morning. I am sure school will now be in session the Thur & Fri before Easter as make-up days. But we really don't have any other built in days, and after a near mutiny 2 years ago the school system won't dare take away any of Spring Break. The last day of school was supposed to be May 21. Oh wow. I just figured it up on my calendar and that is going to put the kids going to school through June 2nd. The school calendar shows school being closed on Election Day, May 18, but I wonder if they'll use that as a make-up day. Either way we're going past Memorial Day into the first week of June. And that's not counting if we have more snow days! YIKES!!! The drifts outside are unbelievable. John said the road conditions are terrible, the road crews are doing what the can, but there's only so much you can overcome when it comes to Mother Nature! He thinks school won't be in tomorrow either. We shall see. They called it for today yesterday evening, which was a nice change from the 5:22am call we usually get. It's been snowing off and on all morning. John has been waking up 30 minutes early to scrape the driver with the tractor and blade. When I talked with him earlier he said there is so much snow and the blade is only so wide - I think 7 feet? - that the edges are building up with nowhere for it to go, and his path down in the truck was very narrow this morning. Yesterday he had to work and was done early afternoon, then went to WalMart for our weekly shopping. He said the shelves were bare of lots of items, and he wasn't able to get several things on the list. The deli was completely shut down. When he got home, he parked the truck at the bottom of the hill and walked up. Then took the tractor down/up with the scraper blade. Then I suited up for the snow and rode the 4-wheeler down the drive with him to take him back to the truck. He was able to then get the truck up our drive without any issues. We unloaded groceries, bundled Asher up, then played outside for about 15 minutes before the cold got to us. Asher of course wasn't ready to come in, but it was windy and still snowing and quite cold. Allie was napping during all of this. Today was supposed to be an outing for our Playgroup to the Children's Museum. Obviously that is having to be rescheduled. Not sure for when though. We have an annual pass that expires at the end of this month and I would love to get another visit in on it. I took some pictures of the snow a little while ago when the girls (dogs) were out playing, uh I mean pottying. Jill is really becoming cumbersome, even without a foot of snow to maneuver through . Penny loves tromping around in the snow though! Here's Penny when I was making her come in! She doesn't look happy with me. Check out the drift over the bushes! The drift to the right of the tractor, by the corner of the shop, is about 3-4 feet deep. I know the perspective is hard in a picture, but trust me!!! Back inside, I snapped some pictures of the girls right inside the laundry room door, the way they go out - I was trying to get some decent ones of Jill to show her pregnancy. Look at that belly!!!!! Awwwww. Sisters. Caution! WIDE LOAD coming through!!! In case you can't tell, Jill is the more orange dog on the left, the one that's twice as wide as usual. The look on her face is hilarious. While I'm posting pics, here's one I took of Cooper the other day. Can you tell he is truly enjoying being an inside cat during this weather??? Hehehe.