It's hard to believe we are already more than halfway through the month of October. Temps here have still been hovering around mid 70s, and just recently mid 60s. However, at night we are getting down to mid 30s! We brought in our houseplants from outside yesterday, as there was a Freeze Warning issued. On the way home from taking Asher to school today, my car said it was 27 outside!! It's always a little cooler out here in the country.
Funny Allie story. Two nights ago, John was getting her washed and out of the bathtub while I made dinner. I could hear them talking. She was saying she had to pick up her bath toys. He said to her, "Well what if I want to play with them?" To which she replied, "Daaaaaddy {all drawn out while rolling her eyes}, you are a grown up. Those are for children! You can go cook."
Since I've last posted, we have finished up Flag Football for Asher. He really enjoyed it, and it seems like right about the time the kids are getting into it, the season is over. But, I was ready to not have 2 evenings of activities each week, I know that much!
Tonight is the PTO Fall Festival at the kids' elementary school. I know I posted on here that I was involved with the PTO Board, but several weeks ago another new person to the board and I decided it was in the best interest of ourselves and our families to step down. So, it might be a little awkward to go, but Asher realllly wants to. It is a lot of fun for the kids. Plus, he found out today that his classroom raised the most money in the 2nd grade therefore his teacher has to KISS THE PIG! A contest they hold, and the classrooms each get to keep the money raised. She will literally kiss a pig on the snout that a local farmer is bringing in. So, we may have to go just to not miss that!
I have still been involved at the school. I volunteer on Tuesdays. I alternate weeks in the Library (mornings) with a good friend of mine, and then the off weeks I volunteer in Asher's classroom from 1:30-3. I am still really enjoying the volunteer work, something I haven't gotten to do since I've had kids!
Next week my mom is flying in to visit on the Wednesday. She normally flies out around May or June, but this year we had to change it up due to her full travel schedule with her work. I'm beyond excited to see her and spend time with her for an entire week! The kids will be at school part of the time of course, and that will free up some day time to craft together. The Saturday that she is here we will go to Lexington for the day like we usually do; shopping, eating, watch a movie, get pedicures - a much loved GIRLS' DAY OUT!
Also, both kids Halloween parties will be while Mom is here. Allie's is on the Thursday, and Asher's the Friday. But since Mom will be recuperating on the Thursday, I will leave her on the farm for some peace and quiet while I volunteer for the party that morning (as Room Mom I am in charge of party planning! and boy have I had fun with that!!!). Then, the Friday she plans to come to the school for Asher's party, which will be in the afternoon. Allie might come with us for that, or she might go to a friend's house for a lil playdate so we can concentrate on Asher.
The Halloween parties have really been so much fun to plan. I haven't ever been that much into Halloween. I haven't had this much fun planning a party in a long time. For Allie's Preschool class, there is a Parade and then we will come back to the classroom for 6 different activity centers. We will do 3 at a time since there will be 3 adults to run them (the teacher, the assistant, and me). Then we will switch to the other 3 activities. Then, we are having pizza! In Asher's room, we will have 5 different centers of activities. I will take lots of pictures I'm sure!
Last Friday I took Allie to a Farm/Greenhouse called Bi-Water Farm for a Playgroup Outing. They had a hayride and pumpkin patch and many other activities. All the little girls had fun, but it was really crowded with school groups - we counted 18 buses when we left!!!
John is also planning a trip to Wisconsin to go bird hunting part of the time that Mom is here. He will drive and take the "big girls" Jill & Penny. He is even considering taking Piper, the advanced pup, as she is showing some nice progress. I am glad for him to have the time away doing what he enjoys. He works so hard for us all year long that he really deserves it!
This weekend a piano tuner is coming to tune the piano! I guess I didn't mention in my last post that John's parents shipped us their grand piano that Judy has had for @40 years. We were ecstatic to get it 2 weekends ago and are now just waiting on a list for a piano teacher for the kids.