Summer vacation is officially over, as school started for Asher yesterday. He was "excited and nervous" for Third Grade. I was a bundle of nerves. He had an OK first day of school. Learning the ropes at a new campus (which Allie refers to as church-school since that's actually where our church meets every Sunday, in the gym) and also the rules of a new teacher. Well actually two new teachers, as he has a switch class! He did fall off the monkey bars and knock the wind out of himself, and he had to be given a warning for talking (hmm, shocking!) but overall he said it was a good day. He was also happy to see his friends, especially his bus friends on the ride home.
Allie starts her second year of preschool on the 22nd, so she still has another week at home. Her best friend, Cece, is in her class this year and she is so excited about that! Although she is tired of me reminding her that it can't be all about her and Cece all day long, that she has to do what the class is doing. These two precocious girls will be leaders in the classroom!
As much as I hated to say goodbye to lazy summer days of sun and swimming, I was ready - we all were actually - to get back onto a routine. We did however have a fun and very full summer! We went to Myrtle Beach for the third year in a row and had wonderful family time. Asher attended a 3 day basketball camp one week, and another week he went to Kids' College, a 4 day camp held at our local college where he had reading, art & zumba classes. My niece Nikki flew in for a week visit in July. Allie had tumbling once a week. We had playdates with friends, which usually involved swimming either here at home or at our local waterpark. We saw a few (kid) movies at the theater. And of course a big part of summer is being outside on the farm. Both kids still love that! 4-wheeling, berry & veggie picking, dirt digging, basketball, fishing, pond exploring, playing with dogs. And any chores John or I are doing outside they want to be a part of (which we definitely appreciate their willingness as who knows when/if that'll change). Asher picked several gallons of blueberries, blackberries & raspberries. We ate our fill fresh, then put the rest up in the deep freeze. Those will be tasting wonderful in the middle of winter! Oh, Asher also started piano lessons. He is doing really well with them. His teacher is great with him, very patient and must make it exciting because he looks forward to practicing at home each day.
We've been enjoying our butterfly/hummingbird flower patch right off the back porch. We have @ 15 hummingbirds. As I type this I am sitting out here listening to their chirping and humming of their wings as they drink from the feeders.
Asher will be starting Flag Football in a few weeks. And Allie will start back with a tumbling/ballet class the first of September. We will be out 3-4 evenings a week!
Oh, and I turned 34 last week. John and the kids bought me an iPad, something I have wanted for a long time! I'm still getting it set up the way I like and getting used to it. I am typing this post on it now, and I hope to have more frequent updates this way, but it won't let me upload photos. I don't think it likes the Safari web browser on here. I haven't uploaded photos to Snapfish in several months, but if you are friends with me on Facebook you will have seen some there! I'll do a post from the computer soon with some of my favorite photos from the last few months.