We decided to induce labor at 38 weeks with Allie, since Asher was such a big baby at just shy of 10 lbs right at my due date. Well I turned 38 weeks on a Saturday, so the soonest we could do it was Monday (1.29.07). I checked into the hospital around 10:15 am after my last
Missy gave me a half dose of Cytotec, an oral drug, to help ready the cervix. No one thought it would kick start me into labor! I started having regular contractions within 45 minutes of having the Cytotec. I dilated from a one to a three by 12:30 pm. The contractions were uncomfortable and I requested my epidural; however, the CRNA we wanted (Rebecca) was tied up in a case, so I relaxed by reading a book and tried not to watch the clock too much!
John and Judy got to the hospital at 2:15 pm. At 2:30 pm Rebecca put in my epidural. John originally said he would wait outside as he didn’t want to make Rebecca “nervous” since she is a CRNA and he is a CRNA and they work together. I said HA! I don’t think so! Right now you are not a CRNA, you are my husband and I need you in here with me! And Rebecca certainly didn’t care. I am so glad he stayed with me as the needle was painful, much more so than last time – probably because last time I had already been on Pitocin for 4 hours and was in so much pain from the contractions I didn’t even feel the needle.
John and Judy then had to leave to pick up Asher from preschool. John took Asher and Judy home, got them settled, and then returned to the hospital. At this point I was ready to get things really moving since I knew Asher was taken care of and John was with me. Missy started Pitocin at 4 pm to strengthen my contractions. I was dilated to a four at this point. At 5 pm Dr Meese broke my water and attached an internal fetal monitor to Allie’s head – not what I wanted but was told it was the best for her, so I agreed. At 6 pm Missy checked me and I was a six. With each contraction I could see on the monitor that Allie’s heart rate would drop sharply, although it remained above the 120 beats per minute. This started to make me nervous and I prayed that I would be ready to push soon. John had gone to grab dinner and was eating at the nurses’ station so as to not stink up my room (with Mexican food no less) and I finally called him to come in because I was freaking myself out. He was very reassuring, yet also kept a close eye on the monitors. I was also starting to feel some pain “down there” and mentioned it to John, although my belly area was still completely numb. It was strange how I couldn’t feel the contractions but could feel that. Rebecca was in a c-section, but told John to dose me with whatever he felt I needed. So he re-dosed me but it didn’t touch that pain. He told me, “You don’t have to hurt at all. I can do a block or anything you need.” He knew how miserable I was with Asher’s labor and didn’t want me to suffer like that again. However, I felt like I could handle it, and I didn’t want to be so numb that I couldn’t feel to push and possibly end up with the forceps again or worse, a c-section after all.
Soon it was 7 pm and I was dilated to 7. Not 30 minutes later I was really feeling pressure down there like never before, and so I asked to be checked. I was complete! Dr Meese had me do a “test” push, and within a few seconds said, “WHOA! Stop!” and just like that it was time to break down the bed and get ready for the delivery. Everyone started to scurry around, and I remember thinking, “This is it! I am finally going to meet my little girl!”
I started pushing at 7:35 pm. Although painful it was a wonderful experience. We were all telling jokes for the first 10 minutes; I even waited during a contraction to hear a punch line! I felt in total control and Dr Meese and Missy (who stayed late to be with us!) really let me lead with the pushing. They, along with John, were excellent coaches. At one point someone asked if I wanted a mirror, so I could see the delivery. I thought, sure, that might be okay. Well the next contraction I started pushing and looked in the mirror and hollered, “Ok, never mind! I so do not need to see all that!” We all cracked up. There were some intensely painful moments that I started to think I would lose it, but I would just start to breathe and gain control back and tell myself, I CAN DO THIS, and just kept on.
At 8 pm straight up I delivered Allie. Dr Meese put her right on my tummy and it was the most beautiful moment! John and I kept saying “She looks just like the 3D ultrasound picture!” I felt like I already knew her. We had a scary moment when Dr Meese held up her umbilical cord and showed us a square knot in it. He said, “Another week or two and this may have been a different story.” That still gives me chills to remember his somber words. Thank You, Lord, for her safe delivery and a healthy baby! I am so thankful I listened to my mother’s intuition (and the Holy Spirit) and had her early, even though many people thought we were nuts to do so, to go through another induction, to not let me body take “the natural course”. I knew we were doing the right thing, and that was like tangible proof of it.
I got to hold Allie for several minutes. The nurses then took her to the isolette and then on to the nursery, and I sent John with them to take more pictures. Dr Meese was stitching me up – I had told him no episiotomy this time, but in hindsight should have as I tore in two places - and all of a sudden I felt really queasy. I told him, “I don’t feel so good, I really don’t feel so good.” The reason: my blood pressure had dropped drastically due to blood loss. Dr Meese starts barking orders to a nurse, telling her to take my blood pressure, take it again, again! Push this, push that! Thankfully between the IV meds and Dr Meese finishing the repairs my pressure came back up quickly and we all breathed easier. One of the nurses ran to get John during all of this, as he was still with Allie in the nursery, and he came rushing back in to be with me. Later, he confided that really scared him, and he didn’t want me to go through this again – no more babies – he can’t lose me.
We were moved to a private postpartum room and ended up staying at the hospital until Wednesday afternoon. Allie was really a peaceful baby. She nursed well from the start, and slept often. Tuesday evening, John and I had a candlelight steak dinner provided by the hospital, while the nursery took care of Allie. We also had multiple visitors – the staff John works with, my friends I have made while here in Maysville, and of course Judy and Asher. We were given excellent care by the hospital staff. I am so thankful I can look back on this wondrous time of our lives and feel happy and satisfied with the experience!