Tuesday, May 27, 2008
Five Years Ago Right Now...
I was just leaving my last OB appointment, where the doc had told me we needed to go ahead and induce labor. Which I had been trying to convince him to do for 2 weeks! LOL. John and I were going to head to Pizza Inn for dinner, then on to the hospital to check in around 7 pm. John was finishing his FIRST day of anesthesia school. I was terrified. I couldn't believe that it was finally, really happening!
The rest of the night passed so slowly. It was my first time in the hospital. John stayed with me on that awful, cramped pull out chair of a bed. I was hooked up to all kinds of monitors and listened to Asher's heartbeat most of the night, talking to him, praying to God that everything would work out fine, that he would be healthy and that I would survive labor and delivery! I was sad in a way that it was my last night with Asher all to myself. That after that night, the miracle and wonder of pregnancy with
him would be over, forever. Chapter closed. But on the other hand, excited beyond words to give birth to our son, our firstborn child. Grateful and scared and excited and nervous all at the same time.
Tomorrow, Asher will be 5. What a milestone. He has grown and matured and the years have flown by. I thought I would have longer with him being my baby, he is already his OWN person with his own thoughts and ideas and dreams. I have to remember to cherish it. Too soon we will be celebrating another birthday, then another and another and I will wonder, where did the years go? I think that is one reason I enjoy scrapbooking so much. It's a little like freezing time, preserving thoughts and memories with pictures and words. Being able to look back and smile and laugh and cry over the milestones as well as the every day.
I have been in denial over him turning 5. The time has crept up on me, maybe because his actual party is Saturday. But we will still mark tomorrow with a special dinner and treat and family presents - which I have yet to wrap. 5. He's almost 5!