Monday, May 26, 2008
rest of the day...
Well it is almost 10 pm and John never made it home! Cases all day long on a holiday. Ugh! He is going to stay the night again as he won't get out of this last case until 11 pm. Thankfully he only has one short case to do tomorrow and hopefully he will get some good rest tonight. Call has been really hard lately!
Penny is doing fine. I ended up taking her to our friends Jeff & Cathy for them to check her out, with their menagerie of animals they have experience with this sort of thing. Plus they had a antibiotic/anesthetic spray but we ended up not using it. They thought it wasn't that bad, just a surface puncture wound. It had already closed up on itself and wasn't gaping open anymore. I am glad I got someone else's opinion though, especially with John being stuck at work! I am also glad I didn't rush her to the vet with the extra $$$ I know they would have charged for a holiday. We will keep an eye on it and make sure it stays healthy.
Oh! We moved the turkeys down to their pen, thank goodness! They were so cramped and stinky in their brooder area in the shop. The biggest problem was they can FLY and they started doing that early on, so we had to keep the brooder area small to be able to keep a cover on it. Frustrating! John worked on their pen Saturday in between cases and raking hay and got it done enough to be safe although it still needs some tweaking. They are HAPPY to have all that space to roam!
Also, John spent 3 full days haying. Thursday he was not on call and only had one case, so he started cutting around 10 am and stopped at I think 9 pm. He didn't get all 30 acres cut but did do probably 20. All of the alfalfa and then some pasture. Wednesday would have been a perfect cutting day but he was, you guessed it, stuck at work all day long on call. And he was on call again on Friday, and worked late, but he wouldn't have cut more that day anyway as it was drizzling off and on all day, very frustrating when you have cut hay on the ground!!! Thankfully Saturday was breezy and sunny and he was able to rake all that he had cut. Then Sunday he was able to round bale it all. There were some mechanical issues but they amazingly were able to correct quickly. The hydraulic lines were messed up on the baler and a guy at Napa was able to totally rebuild them for John in like an hour, which conveniently happened to be while John was needed to put in an epidural!
Not sure the final count of bales, there are at least 30 John guessed. And the other 10 acres waiting to be cut will have to wait until after the threat of rain passes tomorrow but hopefully before the next set of storms starting on Saturday.
Uh oh, Saturday is Asher's birthday party! I really hope it ends up not raining. It is supposed to be hot though, mid-80s, and probably humid if it is "scattered showers". We will still cookout even if it rains, John says that doesn't matter. We just might all be inside instead of out! I hope we have a good turnout, Ash is super excited about turning 5 although I think a touch confused that his birthday is one day and his party another, kind of like he isn't sure what to expect for his actual birthday since the party isn't that day. I figure we will do our presents to him and maybe ice cream of something. Bad thing is John is on call which really stinks. And the way call has fallen lately he may be there all day and night AGAIN. I am still irritated that he switched call with one of the other CRNA's - irritated that she even asked, especially when she found out it was Asher's birthday, and irritated that John agreed even when I told him I didn't want him to. That even though we weren't "doing anything" that day it would still be nice to NOT be on call and have some special family time together. Gets me all PO'd just typing it out. Oh well, he is a nice guy and that is what nice guys do, right? We'll just hope that it doesn't turn into a long day as Asher is already upset that Daddy is on call on his birthday and if he doesn't even make it home I know Ash will be so disappointed.
We will make it through though and make the best of it!
Alright, I am off to soak in the hot tub awhile and then hit the sack. Tomorrow will be another busy day with Playgroup scheduled - Ash is very excited to get to attend as the last one he was at was the Valentine's party.