Monday, June 2, 2008

bee sting

Ash got his first bee sting today. :( John spent the afternoon moving the hay bales out of the field and some of them he lined up on the fence row behind the hives. Ash decided to get a little too close to the hives checking them out - with no protective gear on - and a bee landed on his left arm/shoulder and stung him. He was quite put out, I think shocked that one of our bees actually stung him! John brought him inside and we gave him Tylenol and cold Gatorade and a show to watch, and he calmed down. I explained to him more about how we can't get that close to their hives without our protective clothes/veil on, that the bees are protecting their homes and that is why it stung him. After a half hour he didn't mention the sting bothering him again, so we will see how the next few days go (with itching) and how Ash feels about it (emotionally). We knew a sting would happen sooner or later, but I can only hope it doesn't sour him on the whole beekeeping experience. I don't think it will, but we'll see how it goes. Tomorrow will be a busy day. I had offered to host a playdate at our house since it is the "off week" of playgroup (playgroup meets the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays). And with it being Summer and we are all looking for things to do. It turned into a going away Potluck for one of the moms in our group who is moving to Texas with her family for her husband to get treatment for a rare type of bone cancer he is battling. Their move was very sudden and we actually threw this thing together just today. So we'll see how it goes, at least Asher will get to say goodbye to one of his favorite playgroup friends and have some closure. I have my camera battery charging up tonight so I can take some pics. We were hoping to swim but the pool is still pretty cool if it isn't really hot and sunny, and tomorrow is supposed to be cloudy and chance of rain. No matter, whether we swim or play outside or in, it's a chance to hang out and enjoy each other's company. Not much else to report that I can think of!