Tuesday, June 3, 2008

fun PLAY day

Today I definitely honored my word of the month. I hosted a PLAYdate here at the house, and most of the group was able to make it. We had a potluck and everything went pretty smoothly. It was pouring rain most of the day, so obviously no pool and no playing outside. Thank goodness for our huge basement. I actually separated the rooms with baby gates so the "big kids" (3 & older set) could get away from the "babies" and run around crazy and play tag and such. Made me glad we have almost zero furniture in the big room! LOL!! I was glad to be able to host, it really isn't that much extra work and being able to socialize for me and for Asher and Allie is so nice. I also loved being able to put her down for her nap here at the house and not have to worry about that. I didn't even have to clean up as the moms helped pick up the entire downstairs before leaving, that was SO NICE! I ran the vacuum upstairs and that was all that was needed. Asher was pleasantly surprised that a few of the kids that couldn't make his party brought him presents today - he was shocked really as to why he was getting presents, and then confused and asked if we were having cupcakes today! Funny. He got some $$ and some much needed pool toys and a Cars frisbee and a puzzle and one of my crafty friends put her Cricut (a cool scrapbooking die cutting tool) to use and made Asher a neat wall hanging that says "Asher's Cave" and it has Asher and dinosaurs on it! Way neat! The rest of the afternoon was spent just vegging around with the kids watching some TV and playing downstairs some more - I talked with Ginger some on the phone and I oh yeah! I made all three Father's Day cards I needed to do! Yay! I also started a scrapbook page but only got about half finished. Allie was extra fussy, I think she is teething molars. Her gums are really swollen. Oh, we did have some excitement later in the afternoon with the weather. Our NOAA weather alert had severe thunderstorm warning for our county and also a tornado watch. And there was a tornado warning but it was the county East of us. John called from the hospital a little worried, saying he had heard there was 100 mph winds in Brooksville and would I please get the kids and get in the basement? I said we are already down here and it didn't look too bad outside. Thankfully no hail. We did get torrential rain and when I drove down to lock the gate (I had it unlocked all day so people could come and go for the playdate) our drive has just been hammered! The water rushing dislodged rocks and the side culverts couldn't handle it, it is a mess! Gravel run off the side into the forest, deep ruts, ugh! I could barely get the gate closed for the mess. And the creek down there by the mailboxes and under our gate was just rushing. Whew! Cleanup will commence as soon as possible with that mess. John just got home at 9:45 pm. He was on call today. Hard, hard day for him, he usually doesn't let it get to him but WOW was he in a foul mood. I told him to vent away whatever he needed and after blowing off some steam he was ready to crash. Just lots of delays and frustrations at work today and I am praying for a quiet night. Tomorrow is supposed to be Moms' Movie Night out, with whoever can make it meeting at the Mexican restaurant at 6 pm and then heading to see Sex and the City at 7 pm at the local movie theater next door. I am realllly hoping to be able to make it. Allie is on her way to being done with nursing at bedtime. She is more interested in reading, which has been my plan. I nurse her first, then read with her, so she will be less interested in nursing and more interested in reading. I feel pretty comfortable leaving her with John to put to bed now, which is more than I can say even 3 weeks ago! However, John yesterday kinda poo-poo'd my plan and I just hope he is up for it tomorrow. If I have to, I will have both kids fed and bathed by 6 pm so all he has to do is put them in their beds. Hopefully he will be alright with that. Tonight he said his day tomorrow already looks rough and he expects to have to be there through the afternoon which stinks for a post-call day. So I am trying to not get my hopes up too much for a night out, but on the flip side he won't have to deal with the kids much, so we'll see. Strange phone call this morning. I saw on the Caller ID it was the people we got our pups from. They are heavy into Brittanys and Field Trials and so forth. Good people. Anyway, my playdate people were just arriving so I let the machine get it. I listened to the message later in the afternoon, and she was wanting to know if we would be willing to SELL one of our pups! WTH?! Apparently someone they know contacted them, really wanting a female from that particular litter and "since you all have two females" she thought she would try us to see if we were interested. It was kind of strange, I guess she thought can't hurt to ask, maybe thinking we regretted having two? Anyway, I called John to tell him and then called her back and left her a message saying NO we are NOT interested in selling one of our pups, we and our children are pretty attached! I miss Jill like crazy and really hope that the training is worth it in the long run. And I know I will miss Penny the same when it is her turn. The pups will be 1 year old in 2 weeks, and we have had them since they were 7 weeks old! OK, guess that's all the news here. Oh, Ash didn't even mention the bee sting today! So far so good!