Monday, June 23, 2008

bee update

Meant to add this in yesterday's blog. When updating our records the other day (John dictates while I scribe, LOL) I was mistaken - he did have to medicate all of the hives here on our farm that are together in a row. Which is 5 other hives. So that is 6 hives that will be a no-go for honey extraction which really stinks as at least 2 of those hives are kicking butt! Our hive #1 (all of our hives are numbered for records) is, obviously, our original hive from 2007 and it is in a different location here on our farm, and I think John has decided to wait to medicate them to see if they really need it. Now mind you, none of the other 5 hives are showing distress of AFB disease, but since it is highly contagious and they are all in a row, we were recommended to go ahead and treat. We are not treating the hives we have on other farms, which is 6 other hives. Some of you have emailed curious about contamination to other hives. Most people do not realize that bees do not share hives, workers, honey, anything. Even when the hives are in a row or all in the same yard, they know their specific hive and smell. And the guard bees know them, too, and doesn't let in strange bees. Today is supposed to be in the upper 70s with scattered storm chance this afternoon. Allie is in the playroom, Asher is painting, and I just did some account stuff and made some phone calls. I think we will spend Allie's naptime outside as tomorrow we will be gone to Northern Kentucky for the day at Otterville - which is like a mecca of imaginative play, kind of like the children's museum - we are meeting several of our Playgroup there around 10 am. There are chances of rain really the rest of the week so I guess we will evaluate each day whether it is outdoor or indoor play! Thursday we will do Library and then in the late afternoon Asher has his eye exam for kindergarten, it is at the same eye doc John and I go to. I hope to leave Allie at home with John as it will be a post-call day for him and he should be home fairly early.