Tuesday, June 24, 2008

what a PLAY day!

Whew! It was a whirlwind. We headed out this morning at 9 am to drive over to Northern Kentucky (about an hour). We of course had to stop at McDonald's for breakfast, we usually do on day trips like that, it is a special treat for a special day. Both kids LOVE the pancakes. Or flapjacks as Ash calls them, lol. We got to Otterville around 10:30-ish and met up with several of our Playgroup Moms. It was a blast!! Allie really enjoyed herself this time. Last time we went she was just standing up, so we pretty much stayed put in one area while Ash ran around. This time, she was running around with him and the other big kids! In the trains, the grocery area, the toddler area, the ball pit and slides, inside, outside, water play, WOW! I did manage to avoid the face painting for her although Asher colored his entire face green - he looked like the Incredible Hulk! LMAO!!! I didn't mess with my camera but a couple of the other moms had theirs, so I will try to get them (*ahem, Anita this is for you!) to email me a few cute pics. I know Anita got a GREAT one of Asher's face all green, and she was snapping away as Allie came down the slide. I mentioned the water play outside. They have a really cool antique fire truck that squirts water out of its hose thing, and there is a water tower type thing that dumps water on you, and then a few other hoses to squirt water. Both kids were absolutely SOAKED and Allie loved it even more than Asher! I had strangers saying to me they couldn't believe how much fun she was having! I only let them do that because I had brought TWO changes of clothes for both kids. Last summer I forgot and Ash had to forgo, which really bummed him out. Otterville even hosted an "ice cream social" on the back patio play area and the kids thought free ice cream sounded great, lol. On our way out we of course had to wander through the toy store that Otterville is in the very back off - good marketing huh?! Asher wanted to spend some more of his birthday money, so he got even more Lego stuff and some Army men for the sandbox and some robot picker-upper arm thing, looks like what people use to pick trash up with so you don't have to bend over! He was totally intrigued! I think it will be good for his eye/hand coordination! Anita and Melanie had ridden together, and they were braving Hobby Lobby which was about a 15 minute drive away. They twisted my arm (Kidding!!!!) into going over there with them. I was hesitant as I knew the kids were WIPED out, but heck, all that driving with gas prices so high, you want to try to do what shopping you can! Plus I did really need to go to Babies R Us which was close by, for some specific diaper ointments I can't find in Maysville. So, off we went. Allie was asleep practically before we even left the parking lot. It was about 2:45 pm. She actually transferred into her stroller at Hobby Lobby - SHOCKER!!! - and slept another maybe 30 minutes in the store. I got a handful of scrapbook album refills (half off), some new Basic Grey paper (half off) and a few iron-on monograms (half off)! So out of there for only like $35, which is reallllly good for me, lol. Then Ash and Allie and I hit BRU for the diaper creams and then drove through Wendy's for supper on the way home. Exciting, full day of PLAY and I am glad we did it, even though I cringed to spend the $50 in gas! EEK!!! But as John admitted, you gotta do some fun things to, it is summer and our group has been planning this outing for weeks. Tomorrow will be a down day. John is on call so who knows how long he will be at work. Thursday will be busy, busy for us with Library and then either Park/McD's with Playgroup, then home for nap, then out to town again for Asher's eye exam which we are all going to, and then we have been invited to the Maves for supper to enjoy on their new back patio!