Monday, June 30, 2008

end of June

Already?! This month has been full of lots of PLAY and really whizzed by. Asher and I ended it on a good night of PLAY...we had a Mom/Son date night! I told John I really felt like we needed it. I haven't done this with him in so long, and being together at the house while Allie is napping just isn't the same, ya know? So we got all showered and dressed - he insisted on wearing his "nicest" clothes - button down shirt with khaki pants and even told me I looked beautiful, and left the house around 5:30 pm. John was just getting dinner on for he and Allie. I was determined to keep the focus on Asher, so kept the radio off in the car and instead just talked. Ash and I parked at the movie theater which is attached to a strip mall, bought our tickets for WALL-E, then walked a few doors down to the best Mexican restaurant in town. OK, it is like the only Mexican restaurant in town, but it is really good! And surprisingly, Asher's choice when he realized where it was located. He was sooo excited about the movie and kept asking me literally every 2 minutes, "what time is it now?" throughout the meal. We had a great dinner of quesadillas, chips, cheese dip and pink lemonade. We talked and just had a really nice meal. After dinner, we walked a few doors down on the other side of the theater to the K-Mart. We RARELY go to K-Mart, but we needed to burn about 30 minutes and we had a $10 gift card from his birthday LAST year, as in when he turned 4, that obviously needed to be used. So I found some Martha Stewart curtains that might work for Allie's room (her sheers are pretty, but when it gets light at 5:30 am and dark at 9:30 pm, those just weren't working and I have one of my dining room ones up in there now just to make it dark). Then we walked to the toy section and found a nice loud jackhammer for his tool bench that he just had to have. The price was right so we got that to add to the repertoire of noisy tool toys. He is in heaven with it and I know Allie will love it too! The movie was good. More grown up which I figured it would be, the concepts were a little over his head. All the people have to leave the Earth because it is over polluted and everyone went on a 5 year space cruise while crews cleaned up, but 700 years later are still in space as life still isn't sustainable on Earth as clean-up was futile. WALL-E is a robot that was still working on trying to clean up, although all the other robots had bit the dust. He finds a plant - a real, live, green plant! Then a probe robot comes, Eve, and he shows her the plant and she gets all excited as that was her "directive" and her ship comes to take her back to the space ship to report in, and he follows. I won't tell the rest, but it was funny but slightly scary to imagine Earth coming to that point. It was also challenging as there isn't much talking amongst the robots. But awesome animation!! Asher got a little bored part way through, but stuck in there and enjoyed himself and behaved. This was only his 3rd time to a movie! We had popcorn and punch and M&Ms. Once home we were getting him changed and ready for bed, and I noticed his poison ivy had spread. Back up - Saturday I noticed a redness around his left eye, rashy like. I pointed it out to John, who blew it off. Sunday, again I notice more of a redness around the eye, I say I think it is poison something and John blows it off again. This morning, Asher woke me up saying, "Mommy, look at my eye!" and it is almost completely swollen shut!!! There are bumps all over and it is just freakish and ick!! Poor kid! He hasn't complained much of it itching or hurting, but tonight he was. I put cream on it and noticed it was on his chest/side/neck. I hope it clears up quick. I changed his pillowcases and already told him that first thing in the morning the pillowcases, bear, and any blankies (he likes to sleep with cuddly blankies instead of the big quilt and sheet) need to go straight to the wash. I hesitated to do the movie thing tonight because of his eye, but he had watched TV today and played outside and it wasn't really bothering him all day, so we went for it. John was OK with it, other than saying we would probably get some weird looks (which we did!). Oh, the other thing going on with Asher. Last week at Otterville I bought a responsibility chart for him that is a Melissa & Doug magnetic and also a dry erase. It comes with several different responsibilities/goals and you customize it on the top board with seven for each week. It also has several smileys for jobs completed. We set it up the very next day and he loved it! We have been working on doing more set things around the house and WOW this has helped tremendously. He looks to see what needs to be done, does it or asks how he can help, and then picks a smiley. If he gets smileys in all categories for the day, he gets a quarter at bedtime to put in his bank. If he fills up all spaces for the week, he gets a special ice cream treat on Saturday night. This past Saturday he did fill up all spaces from when we started on Wednesday, so he got an Oreo ice cream sundae here at the house. Tonight he was getting upset with John because he was checking his chart before we left and "take out trash" had not been marked for today, and John was telling him no, he couldn't take it because he was all clean and it had rained some and he didn't want him to get muddy. He said he could do it tomorrow and get a smiley for tomorrow and today, and that pacified Ash, but when we got home from the movie he must have still been thinking about it and mentioned it again, and John tried to tell him they made a deal, but Ash kept saying, "But Daddy, I have to do it TODAY to get the smiley TODAY and if I don't, I won't get my quarter!!" So I showed him how to pull the bathroom trash and set it out in the garage, said that counted as taking out trash, and tomorrow he could carry it to the cans. Now that made him satisfied! OK. It is end of June and I have yet to blog about that! As you all know, June's word of the month was PLAY and I definitely feel like I honored that word! It was a good one for the month! Ginger and her kids visited, we swam and had playdates and did Library and McDonald's and Otterville and whew! What else?! I also spent time PLAYING Legos with Ash and getting down on the floor with Allie and playing baby toys. I carved time out to craft, which is my PLAY time, and got a lot accomplished there. Speaking of which, here are some more clippies I made today. These are more for Annabeth's birthday. I made them in sets of 2 because she does pigtails right now. Annabeth's clippie holder now - I couldn't resist the big daisy! These are for Allie - believe it or not, she did need some new ones! And some extras - daisy is for Sarah (in-laws church). I also made an impromptu doll tote bag for Sarah. I put the doll blankies I made inside of it. I plan to ship that box out in the next couple of days. Enough already! LOL!!! It is just so much FUN to make these girly-girl things!! The whole Sarah thing started with my MIL mentioned that the preacher's granddaughter loves her "babies" but didn't have any blankies for them. She just turned 4 and lives with them as her mom is a drug addict and her dad doesn't really want her with his new wife and new baby on the way. My heart just went out to her and I wanted to do all of this and more for her. I probably went overboard but it is all in love. I plan to include a handmade card for her in this as well. I hope she gets years of enjoyment out of all of it! Oh, here is my list of things I did accomplish this month that I wanted to: sew 3 crayon keepers* sew doll blankies* order Kodak pics * schedule 18 mo appt* change dentist appts* scrapbook 10 LOs* plant monkey grass* order May pics* mail thank yous* make June cards* sew 3 totebags* OK, onwards to July! There were a handful of things on my List that didn't get done, some of it I need John's help to do! So that will get rolled over. I am planning on keeping a Craft List and a regular To-Do list in July to keep things somewhat separated and organized.