Friday, June 20, 2008
TGIF!
Oooh, I am so excited. Tonight I get to go to the crop at my local scrapbook store. This will be the first one I have been able to attend! One of my friends here in Maysville who also scraps, goes to these crops all the time - there are usually 2 a month - so I will sit next to her and have a big time I am sure. I don't know how many ladies usually attend, but I do know she books up really fast so I am lucky to get in - there was a cancellation yesterday, and since I had the owner of the store order me a photo storage system, she had emailed me letting me know it was here and I emailed back asking if there were any spots open. Thankfully although John was on call yesterday, he got home around 3:30 pm and did not have to go back at all, even during the night. And he only has one case on today so it is the perfect time for me to get away. I will spend part of naptime today getting my scrapbook things together to take with me.
Yesterday I worked on a new design for a crayon keeper while Allie took her nap, I guess I went and started on it after I posted here. Anyway - I was so excited to work on it, it was a challenge and I really did enjoy figuring it out (no pattern). I am almost done with it, just a few finishing touches that needed the hot glue gun, then I will post pics.
We have had to "quarantine" one of our beehives that we suspect has American Foul Brood (AFB), which is a bacterial infection that is highly contagious among hives. We are treating the hive with antibiotics and will NOT be able to harvest any honey from it, not that there will be much as we had to remove all frames of brood and basically strip down the hive. We are also discussing killing off the queen and having them raise a new one, or re-queening altogether, that just costs $$ whereas having them raise their own does not. We were at first told to treat ALL our hives on all farms, which would result in NO honey for us as the honey would be contaminated with the treatment. But after talking with a well known bee expert, associate professor Dr Jim Tew through the Ohio State University Dept of Entomology, we have decided to wait to treat all of them and sterilize equipment between use, etc. So we will see.
Alright, have to make some more calls and do some account stuff.