Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Got to be flexible!

Today didn't go anything like I had thought it would! This morning Asher wakes up late, around 8:45 am, and his poison ivy eye is swollen completely shut. I immediately called the doctor's office to get him in. After explaining to the receptionist what was going on, she said, "How soon can you get here?" I told her about an hour, and we made it there by 10 am. It was the other pediatrician in the practice, as our regular Dr Coleman is on vacation. I like Dr Keeton though, too. First thing out of his mouth: WOW! He was like, OK we are going to need a steroid shot today, and a 5 day course of steroids (prednisone) as well as a 10 day course of antibiotics (Augmentin). He also said to give him Benadryl every 6 hours today and tomorrow. He was very concerned with it being the eye area. It is thankfully starting to dry up in most places, but I am glad I took him in today although poor Asher was not happy getting stuck although the nurse gave him an American flag bandaid and then a popsicle afterwards. After we left the doctor, we walked up to the OR/Recovery Room area where John's Anesthesia Work Room is - it is a private room area within the recovery room that has a bed and a TV and computer and their schedules. He wasn't expecting us, and he was on call and busy with the urologist doc's cases, but the MDA got him out for a break when he saw us waiting to see him. All the nurses ooh and aah over both kids, and of course lots of sympathy for Asher. While I was there, John asked me to work on the computer as it was, as it does every few months, all clogged up and acting whacko. I needed to burn time anyway until Asher's prescriptions were ready, so I turned on cartoons for the kids and got to work. That was a MESS!! I cleaned up and deleted and downloaded and updated for about an hour! I thankfully did most of what I set out to fix, which was miraculous with 2 kids crammed in this small room. They did great, even with no snacks! Haha! When we left there, we went to the Kroger pharmacy but had to actually park and go in versus the walk up window, as I needed the oral Benadryl for Asher as we had none at the house. I also needed some yeast cream for Allie, poor baby, who is battling that again in the diaper area due to a few days bout of diarrhea. It is a lot better, but Dr Keeton took a peek at it after he was finished with Ash and confirmed it was yeast, so I wanted some OTC meds to help clear that up. The pharmacy staff there is always so friendly and helpful to me and I really appreciate that!! Helps when you are unsure what the best thing to get and have questions on dosing, etc. I had to drive thru to get lunch, again, not my plan for the day but by this time it was already 12:45 pm - wayyyy past naptime and the kids still had not eaten! I knew if I didn't feed Allie on the way home she would fall asleep and then not go back to sleep at home. So off to Big Boy we went, and the kids ate on the way home. As soon as we got home, I laid Allie down and ate my lunch while Ash played outside. Allie took almost an hour to fall asleep and then only slept 45 minutes. Argh! That is always what happens when we overshoot the naptime! And she was a horrible bear come 4 pm. I was planning on mowing during her naptime, but obviously knew that wasn't the best idea as I knew she wouldn't sleep long and I don't like to start and not be able to finish. So, I figured I would do it tonight once I got her down for her EARLY bedtime. John was able to get home around 5:45 pm and so far has not had to go back. I got Allie in the bath and in the bed by 6:25 pm and she was out within 10 minutes. Asher also got bathed and then he ate while John and I talked tractor talk. We are both wanting a new (slightly used) tractor badddddd. Problem is, of course, money. Isn't it always about money?! We don't want the payment! But, as John put it, talk is free! I told him I was planning on mowing, and he said go for it, but by this time it is nice to be able to have some time with him, and Asher, and I thought, No, I will wait and mow tomorrow. We 3 cooked dinner together and then we put Asher to bed at 8 pm and then we ate. Late, I know, but that is how it goes sometimes. Asher's eye looked so much better already by late afternoon. I think that steroid shot helped tremendously and I'm sure the Benadryl didn't hurt either! We will see how tomorrow goes! He did have a slight meltdown when he had to take the antibiotic and steroid at dinnertime. They are both oral liquid of course, and apparently they taste horrible and we had a "this is yuck!" "well you are taking that" "no I can't!" "yes you CAN and you WILL!" "but it tastes awful!" "you have to take it to get better" "well I don't like the itchy but I guess it can stay then because this is AWFUL and I can't believe I have to take it for TEN DAYS!!!!!!!!" discussion and I hope we don't have to repeat that every day, twice a day! And when he found out it is TWICE a day, not just ONCE, he about had more of a conniption. Poor kid!!! I guess what can you expect when he is used to yummy tasting, grape flavored, chewable Tylenol for about anything that ails him! He has only been on meds (antibiotics) one other time that I can remember, for a double ear infection at 9 months old! Whew! Time to hit the bed and get some shut eye before another busy day tomorrow. Hopefully it will be calmer and we can get the things done we have planned and not have as much chaos.