Thursday, December 11, 2008
Trying day.
This has been a hard day.
After I finished blogging earlier, I headed upstairs to make breakfast for Ash. I got a bagel thawing out and went to get Allie up from her crib - and she had vomited all in it! I was never so glad to have an extra set of hands. John started a bath and he got her cleaned up while I got her room cleaned up. She acted fine, and had no temp. She and Ash both drank juice and had bagels and a few bites of scrambled eggs.
At around 12:30 I got ready to leave with Asher. Allie was in her highchair and not very interested in lunch, although she had been playing fine. John said he put her down shortly after we left and she did go right to sleep.
Ash and I got to the ped's office and he is still doing pretty good I guess because he had the Tylenol/Motrin on board. He was playing his V-Smile. We got right in to the doc and the nurse did her thing, then Dr Mike came in. He listened to Ash's chest and was very concerned. He says to me, "You have a very sick little boy here." I started to get really concerned then. They pricked his finger for a CBC test and Ash was initially outraged at the pain but quickly got over it and was fascinated by the tube sucking it out of his finger. He asked the nurse, "Are you going to take all of my blood out of my body?!" He also got a breathing treatment. His oxygen level wasn't great, and Dr Mike wanted to listen to his lungs again after the treatment. That went over OK with Ash, but his oxygen was actually worse afterward. Oh, and his fever blisters in his nose is actually impetigo! So his CBC came back white blood cell count normal, but the bacterial levels high. Dr Mike diagnosed him with strep pneumonia and we were sent downstairs to have a chest x-ray. He also called in 2 antibiotics, Zithromax and Augmentin, as well as an antibiotic cream for his nose. The chest x-ray showed a little haziness, and we are pretty sure we caught it early.
When we left there, we had to run to the post office and then WalMart to get some necessities - it had started sleeting/snowing while we were at the hospital and the roads were BAD. I am actually glad we stopped at WM, although Ash was worn down by this time and just sat in the big part of the cart and zoned out, because when we left the roads were actually in better shape than they had been, I guess the salt had started to work. And after my mishap last weekend I was driving about 25 mph!
Anyway, right after we got to WM John called and said he went in to get Allie up from her nap and she had vomited all over the place in her crib, actually food this time since she had had breakfast and a bit of lunch, he said it was terrible and he was totally grossed out, and he can handle that kind of stuff so I am glad I wasn't there! Ugh!! He was running her second bath of the day. I said I would call Dr Mike as we were concerned with Allie being sick now. My cell wouldn't get a signal after hanging up with John - weird - and I had to use the photo guy's phone to call the ped. He said it sounded viral and completely different from Ash, but if she started running a high fever or getting snotty to call him for sure - he is on call this weekend. He also recommended Phenergen for her, so he called that in to the RX as well. I called John back and he said Allie was acting fine, he had her cleaned up and he would clean up her room so to go ahead and do what we needed to do.
We finally got the shopping and all the meds and got home around 5:30. What an afternoon. I had some Tylenol in the car and gave Ash that when we left WM, as he had started burning up again and feeling even more terrible. When we got home he perked up a little (Tylenol is a wonder drug!) and had some fruit for supper and wanted to put together his new Lego Star Wars toy I got him, so he and John did that while Allie ate (she had again acted completely fine). Ash could hardly talk his throat hurt so bad, he was talking really softly. He will need to cough but he doesn't want to because it hurts. He got in the warm bath while I finished up cleaning in Allie's room and putting her bedding back together. We have all had our sheets changed today, Allie's twice! I am so thankful for our washer and dryer!!!!! And Lysol!
So we get the kiddos to bed by 7:30 and within 30 minutes Ash is awake screaming. He was burning up, again. His pillow was soaked with his tears. We gave him Motrin which we had to practically force down him. He HATES taking meds and he already had to take TWO antibiotics and Robitussin and have the nose cream. He was mumbling deliriously, saying he was sad about missing Pizza Hut, he wanted to sleep in our room, he didn't like his room, his covers are all wrong, he's scared, etc, etc. We finally get him calmed down and I am in tears. This is terrible! He has never been this sick before. I am scared. I am worried about his breathing. John is also a little freaked but handling it better than I am. We are staying calm in front of Asher though. I can keep it together in front of my kids! We will see how he does tomorrow, if he doesn't start getting better he may have to check into the hospital. One. Step. At. A. Time.
John is still not 100%, I have had a headache all day, and both our kids are sick with something completely different. I don't know if my little boy will end up in the hospital or what is going to happen. OK, deep breath. I literally am taking deep breathes while I am typing this. God is in control and he is protecting my little guy and my baby girl. WE WILL BE OKAY.
Please say a prayer for my little ones.