Friday, September 11, 2009

9.11

First thing I thought when I woke up this morning, is where I was 8 years ago. John and I were traveling (he was a travel nurse for 2 years for those that don't know, and we lived in an RV going all over the country for assignments). We were in Redding, CA. We were staying at a hotel, the Red Lion, because our RV was in the shop for repairs. The alarm had gone off and John was in the shower getting ready for work and I was still in bed, and reached for the remote to turn on the news. A typical morning went out the window as I watched in horror the replay and chaos of the 1st plane hitting the tower, and I knew it wasn't an accident. I jumped out of bed to go tell John what was happening, and as I came back out of the bathroom the 2nd plane hit and I watched it happen. I was half hysterical relating to John what I had just seen. I remember thinking over and over in my head, "What is happening? How could this happen?" and feeling absolutely SICK to my stomach. He had to go on to work and after I dropped him off I came back to the hotel room and spent the entire day glued to the TV, scared and crying and praying. I hated that I was apart from John, and thousands of miles away from my family. I felt so vulnerable and alone. It was earth shattering and I still shake my head in disbelief that it really did happen. My heart still breaks for those who lost their lives, and for their families who were left behind. THANK YOU to our military, our firefighters, our paramedics/EMTs, our police officers and to the support system behind them. We are incredibly blessed to live in this country. I pray daily for the safety of our soldiers and for their families who sacrifice so much, all to defend America and our freedom. Don't ever take it for granted. And NEVER forget.