What a wonderful past few days we have had! I am grateful for so many things. My heart is full!
On Wednesday Ash was out of school, and we spent the morning getting the house ready for our company and starting to cook. I got two chickens stewing (for our chicken salad and for the stock) and made the kids blueberry muffins and bacon. I needed extra bacon for the cheese ball I was making for dinner. While the oven was hot I went ahead and roasted sweet potatoes for the sweet potato casserole, a new recipe I was trying.
Mimi and Papa (John's parents) arrived around 3:30p, and although John was on call he had been home for a few hours already. Ash was so happy to see them! He ran and jumped in Papa's arms right away. We absolutely love Kentucky, but we do miss our family! Mimi and Papa had brought their dog, a Brittany named Dixie, and we let our girls out with her and they just ran and ran like the old friends they are. When we came inside, I went to check on Allie and she was just waking up from her nap. I said, "Guess who's here?" and her face lit up and she went tearing out of her room as fast as her little legs could carry her, straight into Mimi's arms. I love the relationship our children have with their grandparents ~ both sets, but this Thanksgiving it was just John's side :).
Allie had to show Mimi all around the house, all the decorations we have done and new things we have changed since they were here last. Papa helped me make the chicken salad for dinner, which is traditional Thanksgiving Eve fare, and we also had the Bacon Cheddar Cheeseball with crackers. After dinner was over, John and I made a new recipe for a Jello type salad called Autumn Apple Salad with lemon jello, cool whip and fruits and nuts. Different but turned out good. I also made a new recipe for a cranberry salad using raspberry jello and whole berries and pineapple and a few other things.
Once the kids were in bed, we helped Mimi and Papa unload their extremely packed Tahoe of Christmas presents! They love playing Santa Claus :). I was more than happily surprised when they uncovered my Christmas present - a KitchenAid Professional 600 Series stand mixer! I was literally jumping up and down. I have wanted one for years! John got one of those Craftsman tool drawer things, I can't remember the name exactly, but its super tall and has all those drawers for organizing. His tools are in desperate need of that. :)
On Thursday our day started around 7. For breakfast John made homemade biscuits and sausage and I finished with a new recipe for sausage gravy and scrambled (farm) eggs and cheese. After the kitchen was cleaned up, I set to work on the main meal. John helped me get the turkey prepped and in the oven, and it was a big bird! Around 20 lbs. I got two pans of cornbread in the oven and chopped/sauteed onions and celery for the cornbread dressing. Once the dressing was in its dish, I took a break for a bit and then I decided to go ahead and try my hand at the pies.
Normally John makes the pies. We have a great pie crust recipe from his Grandmother (on his moms side) but he was relaxing and visiting with Papa and I was itching to use the new mixer. So here I go with another new recipe to try, a Buttermilk Pie Crust (makes 2), and I used the mixer to do so. I also used the mixer to make the fillings, one pecan and one pumpkin; the pumpkin was a traditional recipe but the pecan was a touch different (can you tell yet that I love to experiment??). I toasted the pecans first and also used a bit of dark rum in the pie, which turned out a bit strong but by the next day was tampered down. The crusts were yummy and although not perfect-looking, I was pleased with how they both turned out, especially since I had to use my countertop convection oven to bake them as the turkey completely hogged the big oven!

Let's see, what else? We had green bean casserole of course the traditional way. I also made gravy from the turkey drippings and it was the first time turkey gravy has ever turned out for me! Last year we literally had NO GRAVY as I messed it up. LOL. So I was extremely happy with the results! Not just edible but good! haha. The rolls were store bought although I had a, yes, new recipe but decided to just go with the brown and serve. I also made noodles in the chicken stock. We all sat down at the table to eat around 6:30p, definitely later than we had planned but that big ole turkey took 5 hours to roast! It was well worth it though, it turned out not only beautiful but super moist and tasty.

What a day! I thoroughly enjoy baking and cooking for my family. Mimi asked me once during the day, do you enjoy this? And I answered honestly, YES! If I didn't, I wouldn't, as it wouldn't be fun for anyone. This was the first year Mimi and Papa have not cooked the Thanksgiving Meal, and Mimi kept saying how strange it was, she wasn't busy doing stuff, and I told her to just enjoy the grandchildren!!! I did go to both of them for advice here and there and it all worked out just fine.
Friday I cooked another big breakfast of bacon and scrambled farm eggs and cheese on english muffin sandwiches. We skipped lunch (imagine that!) and just snacked on pie and whatnot. The kids and I and Mimi made Roll Out Sugar Cookies - another new recipe - with the new mixer and cookie cutters. That was fun although the cookies didn't taste very good to me, didn't really care for that recipe. The kids enjoyed it though and that's what it was about.

John and Papa went into town and ended up coming back with pizza for dinner, we had thought we'd do leftovers but I think Papa and Mimi didn't want us to cook and clean up anymore, LOL. So tonight we are definitely having our leftovers. Ash and I played the Wii for a bit while they were gone and Allie napped, and Mimi relaxed. We've been playing the New Super Mario Bros which is addicting but hard!
Oh, I haven't mentioned that illness did descend unfortunately. Ash has battled a slight cough for about a month, he was on antibiotics over Halloween but it didn't really knock it out completely. Earlier this week he started coughing a touch more. Thursday night he was running a temp and Allie had started in with some coughing as well and was running a temp around 102. Then Friday morning I woke up with deep congestion/cough. Last night I was restless sleeping and felt a little feverish. So far John is alright. I hope that we didn't pass anything along to Mimi or Papa. Both kids and John have been vaccinated for H1N1 so it's not that, and both John and Allie have been vaccinated for seasonal flu. It is probably just a cold. Thankfully today both kids are acting normal and no fever, although still congested.
The other exciting news is I took my first deer! A 3 point buck. One of his antlers was broken off a bit. We were just starting to eat our pizza when a doe wandered through the "backyard". John still had a doe tag left so he took a shot, but missed. About 10 minutes later, he comes a buck. I had mentioned to John earlier in the week that I wanted to take a deer this year, that it would be my first one. Well he had already shot a buck, and you can only take one, so he asked did I want to take a shot? I was nervous but ready. He showed me how to steady the rifle (a .270) on top of our smoker on the back deck area, and I sighted it in the scope. I took the shot when I felt I had it and nailed that buck!!! We went back inside to let it be for a half hour or so, and a doe came through about 10 minutes later! Sheesh! I took a shot at it as well, and it was an easier shot than the buck, but my shoulder hurt so bad still from the kick of the rifle that I flinched and didn't get it. John and I took the 4 wheeler to find the buck as after it was hit it ran towards the woods. We found it right at the edge. He field dressed it and showed me the heart, which I had shot through. Wow! It was a great shot he said and I was excited to take my first deer, then John asked, that was your first deer ever? And I was like, YES! He thought I meant on our farm. I said no, I had been hunting of course with my dad and brothers growing up but never shot one myself!
We hauled it onto the back of the 4 wheeler and drove up by the shop for John to hang it. Before he did though, I went in and got the camera and he took several pictures. He was so proud for me and said he was going to cut the antlers off for me to keep. Haha. It's not a "trophy" buck so to speak but it is special being the first ever. We had to have the lights of the Tahoe as it was pitch black by this point!

We let it hang overnight (got down to below freezing) and John whittled it up this morning and we found room in the freezer. Barely. Our freezers are busting full and although we still have tags to take, we are so done for the season. :) John: 1 buck, 2 doe and Steph: 1 buck.
See what I mean about a very full Thanksgiving?? And we still have the weekend to enjoy.