Tuesday, June 1, 2010

So much to cover!

OK, here we gooooooo! Asher Awards Ceremony & Field Day, Tuesday 5/25 Allie and I took Asher to school that Tuesday morning, and went on in to the classroom for the awards ceremony that was to be from 8:30-9. (individual classrooms did this, not one big thing). Asher received the Science Award, for all he knows about plants and animals. He was pleased! After the ceremony, Field Day started. This was @ 2 hours of games set up for the 1st graders to do. They stayed within their own class and moved from station to station. Allie and I stayed for this and had lots of fun despite the heat. Here's Allie taking a break: We ate lunch with Asher, then I surprised him by checking him out of school! We went and picked up his ice cream cake and headed home to rest up before his skating party that night. Asher's Skating Party, Tuesday 5/25 Ash had his party at one of the local skating rinks. He had been to a skating party a couple of months ago, and that's all he has wanted to do for his own birthday party. Allie had never been on skates before, but within 30 minutes was scooting around on her own. Asher got his legs under him pretty quickly, and of course Daddy was a big skater back in the day. And although I used to love skating way back when, I did NOT get on skates! Didn't want to break a leg! I was so worried about charging my camera battery up after field day, that I FORGOT IT AT HOME as it was on the charger! Argh!!! I had to use my phone camera. The party was 2 hours, and they played games and we had ice cream cake. I was very pleased with how it all turned out! Very low stress, as in NO STRESS at all. Good turnout of friends, too. Allie Cuteness A few weeks ago, Allie finally let Anna kitty stay in her room, on her bed, with her during naptime. Anna had been trying for awhile to go in there during nap, and Allie would always get upset and say she wanted her out! But once she let her in that one day, Anna now comes into Allie's room while we are reading before naptime, and gets all settled in. She naps with her probably 5 out of 7 days now! I peeked in there one day and Anna was so cute all stretched out next to Allie. This day I snapped a picture with my phone just as Allie was waking up... No wonder Allie doesn't want her stuffed Clifford anymore! She has a real, live animal to cuddle with. :) Allie's latest sayings are: "What in the world????" and "Oh for goodness sakes." She did get into preschool at our public school and will start August 23rd, almost 2 weeks after Asher starts 2nd grade. They will be in the same building for just one year, then Asher will move campuses for 3rd-5th grades. She is excited to go, and so am I! She will love it! Ash Cuteness A couple of Saturdays ago, we went to Cincinnati to shop once we found out Asher's baseball game was canceled because of the rain. We had an early dinner at Chick-Fil-A, on the go in the car, which is one of Asher's fave places to eat. We were headed to our next destination, just driving along, and from the backseat we hear him say, "Ketchup changed my life." We were like, What did you say??? It was such a funny thing. He said, "You know, ketchup changed my life for meat. I can eat meat because of ketchup!" It was too hilarious!!! Here's some pictures of Asher's First Grade Memories booklet he made. We are going to miss his teacher soooooo much! She has been amazing! We have been so blessed to have two awesome teachers for both K and 1st! He said he didn't get to finish drawing Miss Lambert. But she does have blond hair! I asked what makes your teacher happy, is that you raising your hand? And he said Yes! His favorite place, the cafeteria. Hehehe. Sound like someone you know? And here's the signatures of classmates! Too cute! Ash Birthday, Friday 5/28 I made Asher a Giant Cupcake for his actual birthday, which was difficult to decorate with two hovering and excited kids, and John brought home a neat seek-and-find book from the hospital book fair for him as well as the traditional balloons! His technical present was the 4 wheeler he got a couple of months ago. Ash Baseball Game, Saturday 5/29 Saturday Asher had a baseball game. We've already missed 2 Saturdays (in a row!) due to rain-out, which means they have only had one other game. He loves playing even though he's still learning A LOT!!! He looks great though! Around the Farm Here are the 8 head of cattle we have had for almost a month now. They are doing well, pretty tame except for 1 or 2 high-strung ones. Like their orange earrings?? Those are fly tags. John has cut and baled hay once already this summer. We were approved for the Wildlife Habitat Improvement Program (WHIP), and expect work to start soon on added fencelines, planting native grasses, and waterers for the cattle. The garden is huge and coming along nicely except for the corn. John also tilled another section for nothing but melons. I still need to take pictures of that and the rest of the "fortress". Our blueberries, raspberries and blackberries all are growing like crazy, and our fruit trees are ho-hum. Here's Piper, a female pup, who John wants to keep now (we were only going to have males). She is a good pup, very much the ring leader of the boys! I've also updated the puppy blog, you can link to it from the sidebar of this blog. We have torn down the old kennel, had it leveled out with the dozer, framed it for the concrete, and had rock delivered today. Here's a pic while framing on Sunday: And here's the kids. They are so happy with the big piles of dirt. That's all they play in outside. And here's the temporary housing for the pups. John bought two more kennels like this today at Tractor Supply, so we can split them up and also have room for the big girls if they need out there (they've just been staying inside). We will be able to re-use these same panels for the new kennel. This Week Yesterday Ash was out of school and John off work. Well, John was actually on call Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon but didn't get called in ONE TIME!!! He fired up the smoker and smoked baby back ribs, spare ribs, pit baked potatoes, deer roast, and pheasant. The pool has been drained and refilled and Ash got in it for the first time. We also cooked up a big batch of our homemade BBQ sauce and canned it. Today is the first day of June, wow! It definitely feels like summer although it is technically still Spring until the 21st. I have been trying my best to honor my One Little Word for Spring, Perspective. Namely trying to keep things in perspective, stay positive and enjoy the here and now. My OLW for Summer I already have decided, and it will be right along with that theme... Thursday evening is a Moms' Night Out. We are meeting at the local Mexican restaurant for dinner and margaritas, then walking next door to the movie theater for a chick flick. I'm looking forward to a night out and I'm sure will enjoy myself! Asher gets out of school this Friday at 1p. The pups go for their 13 week vaccinations that evening. Saturday we have a ballgame and a birthday party. Sunday we will pack. And Monday the kids and I will leave for a visit to Memphis to see Mimi & Papa!